Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Noah0504
Channel Surfer

Issues with MPEG2 after 9.3 Update on Roku TV

After the 9.3 update for Roku TV, myself and other users of Plex and Emby have noticed a specific issue when playing live MPEG2 streams.  The video freezes, but the audio continues to play.  The stream will eventually fail altogether.  This is a very random issue; sometimes it happens after 5 minutes, other times I can be watching for well over an hour until it occurs.

Here are links to threads in the Plex and Emby forums:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/roku-update-to-9-3-0-causes-live-tv-video-to-freeze/606622

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/87712-live-tv-playback-frame-freezing/

13 REPLIES 13
AboveUnrefined
Channel Surfer

Re: Issues with MPEG2 after 9.3 Update on Roku TV

Hello,

I'm wondering if this is something that'll ever get fixed... I encounter this at least a few times a week and it's a bit inconvenient since it forces some sort of interaction when a frame freezes but the audio keeps playing. It doesn't really tend to fix itself after a reasonable time and I have to stop and resume streams again. It's problematic while we watch TV, which is something I don't expect to need to have to interact with the TV to keep playing...

0 Kudos
M_xk8

i am also having this issue with EMBY... hardware transcode throttle cannot be enabled... the movies stutter like mad....

Also AVI files do not work... 

when will this be resolved? I see there are many complaints regarding this on the forums.

0 Kudos
AboveUnrefined
Channel Surfer

Any indications whether this will ever get fixed? It's becoming very inconvenient to watch TV as this happens quite a lot and I have to keep interacting with the TV when I shouldn't have to be...

0 Kudos
djclipz
Reel Rookie

Plex user here, currently testing Emby... I have experienced the same issue on both platforms on my Streaming Stick+. 

Not an issue on other client devices, xbox, android etc. 

0 Kudos
Brettface
Streaming Star

I am definitely seeing this on my Roku TV on 9.3.

Live TV, that is to say - non-transcoded MPEG-2 video, directly streamed from an HDHomeRun via Plex, will freeze but audio will play on.

This behavior is new to Roku OS 9.3.  It worked fine before.

I've switched back to using Tablo for watching live TV, which transcodes so it isn't subject to this behavior, but there's definitely an MPEG-2 decoder issue with the latest Roku OS.

0 Kudos
AboveUnrefined
Channel Surfer

3 months = no replies and no resolution. What's up with that?

0 Kudos
Brettface
Streaming Star

Classic Roku support move.

9.4 is rolling out now. If that doesn't fix it, the new Android TV is looking pretty good right now.

djclipz
Reel Rookie

Pulled down 9.4 at the weekend, still broken for me.

AboveUnrefined
Channel Surfer

This is absolutely unbearable now because it happens constantly while my wife is trying to watch wheel of fortune. Too bad, I like the roku but this is too obnoxious to keep putting up with. On the channel when my wife tries watching wheel, it happens at least 10 times and it's a battle to keep hitting pause/play ff/rewind to get past the bad frames.

Probably going to put a fire stick on it and get over it. Brilliant.