Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Is there any way to turn the screen off?

I'd like to be able to shut the screen off, primarily when I'm just listening to music, and especially when I have the timer on, and want to go to sleep. There's no reason for the TV to be lighting up the room, when all I want to do is listen to music.

8 REPLIES 8
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is there any way to turn the screen off?

@StevenCee 

Normally, turning off the TV screen will also turn off the speakers since same power supply.

1. Can try using peripheral speakers or other setup (Audio Video Receiver/AVR)

2. Can try using a screensaver on the Roku device that are dark in nature (some black screensavers available... https://channelstore.roku.com/browse/screensavers#! and https://channelstore.roku.com/details/a1530d0b02e9d5be747bd2c094698537/black-screen-saver)

With the release of Roku OS 11, supposedly will be able to create your own Screensaver so maybe make one with all dark images that will dim your screen until your Sleep Timer on the TV kicks on.

I am not sure if the Screensaver will kick on and still allow the music to stream but worth a shot.

In the Roku Settings you can adjust when the Screensaver will activate (length of time).

Settings/Theme/Screensaver Wait Time

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

StevenCee
Roku Guru

Thanks for the suggestions... I already have a pretty dark screensaver, and I'm not sure if it would come on, since the channel would be actively streaming the music, just as it won't if a show is streaming.  I do darken the screen as much as I can, so it's not terrible, but I do fluff up my blanket to block the light from my eyes. The TV has no problem blanking out the screen, while continuing with the audio, dozens of time a day, when I don't want it to (which I pray OS 11 will remedy), so you'd think there might be a way to do it more selectively... 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@StevenCee 

I know that when I listen to "MyTuner" Channel/app, the screensaver will activate the Screensaver set in Roku while still streaming the music/podcast/audio. (This would work with a dark screensaver).

Accuradio has its own's Screensaver with a dark screen, but a little bouncing logo and then cover art. (a little too much flashing probably for sleep).

I am just uncertain if your particular music Channel/app,  or any other music Channel/apps will perform in the above mentioned behaviors. (Going to need to test and verify yourself).

----

Of course, I guess you could also throw a blanket over the TV as well. 

StevenCee
Roku Guru

Yeah, I often feel like throwing a blanket over it, or throwing it out the window, over some of the ridiculous issues I have to deal with since getting this Roku TV, which I really hope get cleared up once I get the updated OS, which I hope is sooner than later...

0 Kudos

There's an option to turn off the display, I use it often when I'm streaming our local classical station through iHeart.

Hit the * on the remote, scroll down to the bottom there should be a "Turn off display" option.

StevenCee
Roku Guru

Thanks, somehow I figured out where it was, some time back....

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@JetCityGambler 

Thanks for the info.  👍

I don't remember seeing this option before, but on the Insignia RokuTV upon pressing the * button, there is an option "Picture Off" that will turn the video off and allow only audio to play. (works on both antenna/OTA and streaming Channels/apps).

0 Kudos
Lenox
Channel Surfer

I don't see this option on my TV.  Is this still available for you?

TCL 65" Class 4-Series 4K UHD HDR Smart Roku TV – 65S455 

To turn off the screen using your remote, press Star star button on Roku remote and then scroll and ... 

The turn off display option is not there for me.  Anyone else have this missing even after enabling Fast TV Start?  Thoughts?

I'm trying to use my TV for music but not have the screen on all day.

0 Kudos