Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Re: Private listening

Jump to solution

@ethylmax 

If your TV has an optical audio output - or an always-on RCA/mini wired output, you can connect that to the bluetooth transmitter and be able to use a headphone along with the TV speakers.    You'd only need the HDMI extractor if the TV does not have a usable audio out connection.   If it only has a headphone jack you would have to check your manual - in most cases having something plugged into a headphone jack will disable the TV speakers.

If you don't mind both wearing headphones (and some, like earbuds are pretty unobtrusive) you can both use the app on your phones and listen at your own volume.  Recent iphones with apple airpods can also work with 2 sets of earphones connected to one phone, each with its own volume control.  (Mine is too old for this feature so I can't test it).

ethylmax
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you

0 Kudos
dpets

Re: Private listening HDMI on which TCL tv?

Jump to solution

in respomces I say the private listening was only available through hdminon some tvs. Well which ones?

secondly your marketing of this feature was extremely miss leading and I am very disapointed

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Re: Private listening HDMI on which TCL tv?

Jump to solution

Private listening in the phone app only works with streaming channels/apps on the TV, not the HDMI inputs.   I think a few models have headphone jacks in the remote control that will work with content from other inputs.

0 Kudos
Zediah

Jump to solution

Will there be a software update to fix the HDMI no private listing issue? I have an ONN TV.

tdog1338
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Here is the solution I found for my roku TCL series 5 2020 tv the roku voice remote pro if connected directly too any of the tvs it is compatible for can use private listening on HDMI input cause it is connected directly too the TV via Bluetooth this will be a great work around for any tcl or roku tv in need of hdmi listening 

0 Kudos
heb1946
Reel Rookie

Re: Is private listening available on all Roku TV HDMI inputs?

Jump to solution

Hello, I had downloaded the Roku remote app and was using it just fine with my Bluetooth headphones. No problem. Now, with no changes to anything, my remote displays a headphone with a red slash through it, and I get the "private listening not available for analog channels" message. Again, was going along fine for over a month and now it doesn't work. Have re-installed the remote app and my TV. 

lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Are you sure it ever worked from content coming from an HDMI input?    Normally the remote app can only get the audio from 'roku' app content - that is, apps running on the TV.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Hello - Around the 11th of May I began getting the red slash after 2yrs of using the B/T ear buds on private listening (EVERYTHING BELOW IS AN ISSUE WITH PRIVATE LISTENING, WHEN ON AN OUT OF NETWORKED BIG APP NAME, WHERE AUDIO HAS ALWAYS PLAYED THROUGH BLUETOOTH NOW INSTANTLY PUTS A RED SLASH w/ what I believe Is the gen 2 Google Chromecast hockey puck. Plugged into each HDMI as per test for hardware (no difference), on a TCL cheaper but decent TV. The chrome cast is not USB powered back to the TV itself, but in a receptacle. If I use the app's as i.e. Netflix, Amazon, ECT, everything is fine. I have unpaired, uninstalled, reinstalled apps, then the windows thing happened. Lordy. I'm hung up on what am I missing. Anything outside 3rd party. I.E a ball game through a 3rd party site is being blocked. I went all the way back to reinstalling Windows because I was adjusting everything. I know it's something stupid. BUT WHAT LOLO, I'm going mad, yet I can listen through 'cast-sources', 'Desktop' but where did tab go. I can't figure out what/where could be a security setting that is blocking audio for 3rd party sites. When I cast, the section sources 'tab' doesn't have audio out of my B/T ear buds, but yes the TV does play the audio. Under sources 'desktop' audio plays video/audio, and through B/T, INSTANTLY the red slash appears right away. NOW, if I cast, choose desktop, my ear buds will play, but you know where it's coming from, the laptop. I never ran into this red slash before through private listening. Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
laduerksen

Jump to solution

I have a 43" Hisense TV.  I used to be able to Private listen in the past while it was plugged into my computer via HDMI, but now I cannot.  Now I get "Private LIsting is not available for HDMI input". What changed?