Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
droesw
Level 7

Is RC580 remote compatible with Tcl 50S525 tv?

Jump to solution

I recently purchased the series 5 Tcl 49S517, but it came slightly damaged even though it still mostly works, but I am returning it. I wanted to get the same one but it now went out of stock on both Walmart and Amazon, so I decided to get the more expensive series 5 Tcl 50S525 to replace it. The 49S517 I have now comes with what I've read to be a RC580 remote, which has voice control and I believe the enhanced point anywhere feature. Also on the inside of the remote it lables the Model Number as RC-AL5, but I'm assuming that's another label for RC580. For some reason, online I'm seeing that the 50S525 comes with just a RC280 remote instead which I believe doesn't have voice control or point anywhere feature, even though they're both series 5 tv's and this one's $50 more, but I'm wondering if I would be able to use the RC580 remote on my new 50S525 tv, because I want the better features of the remote with my replacement tv. I don't understand why the 50S525 doesn't come with the RC580 considering it's more expensive anyway and also series 5, but I'm just wondering if the RC580 would also work properly on the new 50S525 and be able to give me the full benefits of all its better features still.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Is RC580 remote compatible with Tcl 50S525 tv?

Jump to solution

@droesw 

Thanks for the note. You'll need to contact your Roku TV manufacturer for specific compatibility information for your remote and TV models. Not all remotes are compatible with all models, so they'll need to help confirm for you. 

If you're looking for a replacement Roku Voice Remote for your TV, check out our officially supported replacement here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 12

Jump to solution

Yes it work, you just need to pair to the new tv, at first you'll probably find it controls the new tv by IR, but for the voice search to work, they need to communicate via RF, which the pairing fixes.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@droesw 

Thanks for the note. You'll need to contact your Roku TV manufacturer for specific compatibility information for your remote and TV models. Not all remotes are compatible with all models, so they'll need to help confirm for you. 

If you're looking for a replacement Roku Voice Remote for your TV, check out our officially supported replacement here: https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
droesw
Level 7

Jump to solution
Is there any way to get additional specs or info on all the remotes you offer? The descriptions don’t really give much detail.
0 Kudos
droesw
Level 7

Jump to solution
So you’re saying the RC580 will work like normal with the 50S525 with the RF and the voice control and whatever extra features it has over the RC280 will work properly?
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 12

Jump to solution

They just released a better voice search remote, and its sold for $19.88 at walmart and amazon. Best buy has it at $29.99. The new remote controls non-roku tv's too, addition to roku TV's. The non-roku tv are controlled via IR, where the roku TV's are controlled via IR or RF. And it can be paired to roku express, express +, premiere, premiere +,  roku sticks, stick + and Roku Ultra. And of course Roku TV's.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Voice-Remote-NEW/506651807?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=...Smiley Tongue

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-RCAL7R-Voice-Remote-New/dp/B07WVFCKSS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=roku+voic...

0 Kudos
droesw
Level 7

Jump to solution
You said some roku tv’s with the new remote would be using IR and others would be RF. Are there just certain tv’s that aren’t equipped to use RF or what makes them use one or the other?
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 12

Jump to solution

All Roku TV's can be controlled via IR or when paired to a wifi remote, by RF. We have Hisense 32" that came with IR only remote, it now has wifi controlling it. The oldest Roku tv n our house  is an Insignia 55" from 2016, It came with IR only remote, I have TCL WIFI remote controlling now. They give it an IR remote to sell it cheaper.

The current wifi remotes that have IR on board to control tv's volume and power. Those Wifi remote will switch to IR when either not paired to a roku, or if roku its pared with is unplugged, you can test that with cell phone camera. So your old wifi remote that was paired to old tv, which is unplugged and back in a box I supposed would initially control your new tv be IR, until its paired to the new tv.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

@droesw All Roku TV's are compatible with supported models of point-anywhere wireless remotes. However, some Roku TV manufacturers use different IR codes in their remotes, so we always recommend checking with your TV manufacturer in regards to compatibility. The available specifications are what is provided on our product page. 

@Tivoburkee The remotes you mentioned are the same model that is offered for Roku TV on our accessories page for Roku TV. (AL-7) https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/roku-tv

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 12

Jump to solution

Good to know, I have bought two previously from roku which were the rc-al5, difference is rc-al5 only knows roku tvs, rc-al7 knows many brands of tv.

0 Kudos