Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insignia TVs... has 8.0 been pushed?

Has anybody with an Insignia TV gotten the 8.0 software yet? If so what models have it by now? Are they waiting to figure out the bugs elsewhere first? If it hasnt been released yet... when and why?

The 'Manual Update Enabled for 8.0 Firmware (platform specific)' thread was closed for some unknown reason. I'm guessing because they are no longer adding models to the list.

Any ideas...

Bueller...?
Bueller...?
Anybody...?
Check out my 'Classic Rock' radio station...
It's sugar free, fat free, and commercial free!

Voice Of Belle Plaine 92.9 fm

www.vobp.itgo.com
0 Kudos
22 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Insignia TVs... has 8.0 been pushed?

I don't think the TV's have gotten it yet.. Only certain sticks and boxes.. Probably because there's more features (hence more potential bugs to work out) in the TV firmware.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos

I've seen a couple of posts about TCL TVs getting the update (with problems)... but no mention of Insignia rigs.

www.vobp.itgo.com
0 Kudos
jsmiddleton4
Level 7

You don’t want it yet.  
0 Kudos
Karkat55
Level 7

All three of our non-TV Rokus have 8.0 (latest Express, Streaming Stick, Roku 3). The TCL Roku TV is still on 7.70.

Bet there are problems with the live TV grid display feature.
0 Kudos

That's the feature I'm waiting for... the rest not so much.

www.vobp.itgo.com
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

The TCL C807 (7109X) Roku TV's that I got a couple of months back already updated to 8.0 in a timely fashion (these were set up on existing Roku accounts).  Hopefully the 75" C807 that I just ordered will already have 8.0, or be updateable out of the box.

But the TCL C803 (7108X) Roku TV from Costco that I got last week for another family member, still has not updated to 8.0 yet (it's set up on a new Roku account).  Too bad, was counting on some of the 8.0 features such as Fast TV Start (fast wake and background updates on standby).  Was also planning to pair this TV with one of the Roku player enhanced remotes, but the volume/power buttons won't work without 8.0.

Note:  The cheaper TCL C803 TV is bundled with a standard IR remote that's easy to get blocked and has clackety buttons, while the C807 is the same TV model bundled with an enhanced Wi-Fi remote.  But you can buy a 2017 Stick or Ultra player ($50-100) and use its remote with the C803 TV instead, or just buy the TCL enhanced remote separately ($60).  The C803 initially hides the UI menu that deals with the remote, but it'll show up after the first pairing, or if you manually toggle it from one of the secret screens.
0 Kudos

I had 2 Insignia Roku TVs (different models). One of them had multiple intermittent bugs (don't know if it was HW or SW related). When 7.7 was pushed, it solved one of the problems and made the other problem less frequent.So I was hoping that 8.0 would fix the other problem(s). Ive been waiting a month since the announcement to see if it helps, but I returned it to the store while I still could. And then there was one...

From what I have read in the forums the TCL TVs got 8.0 but there is no mention of any Insignia TVs getting it.

I just wanted an educated guess as to when it would be pushed. In the thread (Manual Update Enabled for 8.0 Firmware (platform specific) they said probably by the end of the week (last week). That didn't happen... then they locked the thread! Ive been a fan of Roku since the beginning (2010 with a N1050 rig). I tell all my friends to try one out. Not any more (try the box that starts with 'K"). It seems that the announcement about 8.0 was timed to coincide with going public and selling stocks for the first time.

I will never buy another TV with Roku built in. If I do ever buy another Roku product it will be a box or stick so as that my whole TV is not dependent on Roku SW.

That being said... any news on when the Insignias will get some help...?

www.vobp.itgo.com
0 Kudos

Silence...

www.vobp.itgo.com
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"rogermjohnson" wrote:
Silence...

Roku doesn't release exact dates. So, silence means, no one knows. Just need to be patient. Likely bugs that are preventing a release.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos