Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DrChemBurn
Channel Surfer

Insignia Roku TV Stuck in Reboot Loop

I have an Insignia Roku TV that recently became stuck in a reboot loop. The tv will turn on and boot into the home screen before freezing and then rebooting again. This cycle repeats for as long as the tv is plugged in. The tv is not plugged into any peripherals currently.

I have tried the following steps to correct the problem:

1. I unplugged the tv for several hours/days to see if it would reset. No luck.
  2. I factory reset the tv to try and clear the issue. This was done using the reset button found on the back/side of the tv. The tv was reset but the reboot loop issue remained afterwards.
  3. I replaced the tv's main board with a new board.  Initially, this fixed the issue. I was able to turn the tv on and off normally and it would boot up with no issues. Unfortunately, once the computer was connected to the internet via an ethernet cable, it performed a software update and the reboot loop began again. Attempting to factory reset the tv with the new main board did not correct the problem.
Roku Streaming Stick 4K, Roku Ultra, Roku Premiere +, Insignia Roku TV
9 REPLIES 9
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Insignia Roku TV Stuck in Reboot Loop

Hi @DrChemBurn

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Have you tried contacting the TV manufacturer - Insignia to inquire further? I'd suggest starting there to see what options or suggestions they can provide. Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support and warranty services for their products running the Roku OS. They'll be the best ones to help regarding your issue.

You can contact them here: Insignia Support or call them at 1-877-467-4289.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
DrChemBurn
Channel Surfer

Thank you for your response Lianna

TV Reboot Loop Update:

Unfortunately, Insignia was unable to help me because my TV was more than one year old.  Maybe I am a bit old school, but I have always assumed that a product would be supported beyond a single year especially from a long term purchase like a TV.

On a more positive note, I was able to order a main board replacement for my Insignia Roku TV.  I installed the new board last week and the TV has been working just fine for the last seven days.  I have just been using HDMI connected peripherals (game console, Chromecast, etc.) rather than connecting it to the network.

Last night, I connected the tv to the internet and performed a software update to the latest version.  After the software update, the TV is now once again stuck in a reboot loop.  I am very disappointed and am worried that my TV is being rendered useless due to a software issue rather than a hardware problem.  Is the software for my TV provided by Insignia or Roku?  Does anyone know how to reverse the software update so that I can get my TV back into a usable state.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@DrChemBurn 

If you Factory Reset your RokuTV (press and hold for 15-20 seconds), what happens?   If you press and hold the Factory Reset button for 30+ seconds, does your TV boot to the Setup Screen (Choose a Language)?  Basically, are you able to reset it and only starts to loop after the software update or is it looping/unstable after pressing the Factory Reset? 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

DrChemBurn
Channel Surfer

AvsGunnar,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I appreciate your help.

I am able to factory reset the TV and have it work properly afterwards as long as the TV is not allowed to update its software.  The reboot loop starts immediately following the update to the latest software online.  The only way to stop the reboot loop is to install a new main board.  I now have three boards, one that is functional and two that have been "updated" and no longer function properly.

I currently am using the TV successfully with a Roku streaming stick rather than connecting it to the internet.  The TV hardware is in perfect working order as far as I can tell.

0 Kudos
renojim

Your using the stick with the TV is probably the solution.  It's troubling that a software update seems to be causing the boot loop.  There must be something else going on or everyone with that TV model would be having the same problem.  I have a Roku TV that I've been using as a "dumb" TV with a stick attached partially because I'm worried about these forced updates affecting the TV.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
AvsGunnar

@DrChemBurn 

I agree with @renojim  that the additional device is probably best route to take.  I am not far behind in doing the same thing myself as my Insignia is getting slower and more sluggish with each new OS update.

I just Factory Reset mine a few days ago to try and see if any better performance could be achieved but same behavior exists.  Likely just running up against memory limitations.

If you want to try once more, I would put the original (or maybe the second) board back into the TV, and Factory Reset again. (Do not use your new working board).  Also, remove any peripherals like other devices and USB sticks plugged into the TV ports.  This time hold the Reset button until it lands on the Language Screen. (about 30-40 seconds).  Then proceed through the setup and select "No Connection". (do not let it connect to your internet connection).  After it finishes setting up, perform a System Restart. (Settings/System/Power/System Restart).  You should now have a dumb TV if everything reset itself.

I would then try a manual USB update from  tvupdate.roku.com

https://support.roku.com/article/212361468 (How to use USB to update your unconnected Roku TV).

[The above did not work for me on my Insignia RokuTV as my TV complained that the update file was incompatible, so who knows if this route is still working or whether the update file for my TV was corrupt/outdated, but worth a shot].

If the above USB update does not work for you either, then I would try to connect to a mobile hotspot (if available to you) in order to complete the required update rather than your internet connection.  (Basically, trying to eliminate possibility that the Roku server is having a problem with the way you are establishing a connection, ie. your network and internet connection to the Roku server , as a contributing culprit).

Both the USB method and the hotspot should give you alternate ways of updating the TV.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

As of today my Insignia Roku has started this issue. I’m dreading going through these steps, can’t believe Insignia isn’t supporting this!

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @2ndwindranch

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Could you tell us more about the issue you have about the concern you're running into? We'd like to know more about how we can help! How long has the issue existed? In addition, can you please specify the exact steps you are taking to reproduce this issue so we can assist you further?

With detailed information, we will be better able to assist you.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
DrChemBurn
Channel Surfer

@AvsGunnar

Thank you for your reply and helpful tips.  Here is a quick update on my ongoing issues:

I have attempted the software update methods that you recommended.  I used both a USB drive and a mobile hotspot to update the software on my Insignia Roku TV.  I used the USB update on my working Insignia main board.  The mobile hotspot method was used on an additional new main board that I purchased late last week.  Both boards were functional prior to the software update from Roku's servers.  Afterwards, both boards are now stuck in reboot loops rendering them impossible to use in my TV.

For clarification, I would have attempted to update the software on my other non-functional mainboards, but the reboot loop makes this impossible.  The TV restarts before an update can be performed.

As a result of these tests, I feel that the only conclusion we can draw is that there is a problem with the Roku OS software update coming from Roku's servers.  As long as I have an older version of the software installed on the mainboard of the TV, it functions fine.  Once it is updated to the latest version, it is unfortunately rendered nonfunctional. As mentioned in previous posts, factory resetting the TV does not correct the software and rebooting issues.

0 Kudos