Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insanely low internet speeds using Roku TV (Wired)

Device: TLC 55S405 Roku TV
Device: ASUS RT-AC66U
Internet Speed: Theoretical: 120/20
Internet Speed: Practical (Tested on PC): 130/20

Internet Speed on Roku TV (Ethernet): ~25-35MBps
Internet Speed tested on Chromecast Ultra (WiFi): 110MBps

Basically my Roku TV is running at insanely slow speeds (28-35MBps) compared to my normal 130MBps. Even Chromecast Ultra, while on WiFi can run up to 110MBps. Yet the TV is stuck on 28-35MBps. How do I fix that? I can't stream proper 4k. Netflix only streams compressed 4k.

Anyone else ran into the issue? Is there any way out? I don't understand why Roku TVs have such slow internet.
QoS is off.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
renojim
Level 10

Re: Insanely low internet speeds using Roku TV (Wired)

28-35MBps is insanely slow? 2400 baud is insanely slow. Smiley Very Happy Is your "insanely slow" speed keeping you from doing anything? By the way, how are you testing your speed?

-JT
0 Kudos
RAIST5150
Level 7

I am guessing you are tracking the speeds through the router's wireless logs? Have you made note also of variances for SNR and signal levels? The speed will vary depending on the quality of the Wi-Fi signal. May need to change the broadcast channel or even the channel bonding scheme to maintain a more consistent throughput.
0 Kudos

"bustychicksftw" wrote:
Device: TLC 55S405 Roku TV
Device: ASUS RT-AC66U
Internet Speed: Theoretical: 120/20
Internet Speed: Practical (Tested on PC): 130/20

Internet Speed on Roku TV (Ethernet): ~25-35MBps
Internet Speed tested on Chromecast Ultra (WiFi): 110MBps

Basically my Roku TV is running at insanely slow speeds (28-35MBps) compared to my normal 130MBps. Even Chromecast Ultra, while on WiFi can run up to 110MBps. Yet the TV is stuck on 28-35MBps. How do I fix that? I can't stream proper 4k. Netflix only streams compressed 4k.

Anyone else ran into the issue? Is there any way out? I don't understand why Roku TVs have such slow internet.
QoS is off.

4K Ultra HD runs at 13-15 MBps, and you have twice that speed. Most apps don't even go past 10 MBps. Something doesn't add up here. 
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 11

Exactly how are you measuring? Also, as mentioned, you don't need much more than 15-20Mbit for most streaming.
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

If you couldn't see the number would you be able to notice? If not then there isn't a problem. We've all been sold on this BS that a higher speed actually means something. For the vast majority of users it doesn't. Once you get above 15-20mbps it's hard to tell during every day normal activities.
0 Kudos