Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jb7
Level 7

If Roku went out of business would TCL 6 series roku TVs still work?

I love my TCL 6 series Roku TV. My question is hypothetical I realize, but, I am helping my friend buy a new TV and was curious. If for some reason Roku went out business or at least TV business.  Would Roku TVs still work? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: If Roku went out of business would TCL 6 series roku TVs still work?

Yes Roku is just an app. An extra Part of your TV.

Roku is doing fine and will be around.

But there is a chance aliens will land and eat your brain.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
blade_005
Level 14

@jb7 wrote:

I love my TCL 6 series Roku TV. My question is hypothetical I realize, but, I am helping my friend buy a new TV and was curious. If for some reason Roku went out business or at least TV business.  Would Roku TVs still work? 

There is a reason it is called a TCL Roku TV. TCL makes TV's and Roku supplies an operating system. TCL makes TV's distributed around the world and not all have the Roku OS integrated. You can plug a Fire TV stick or Apple TV into an HDMI port of your TCL TV and continue to enjoy streaming content.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K
Kieran449
Level 9

I wondered the same thing too. I use the ROKU as a Cable TV box to access my XFINITY DVR box in the living room. (Why rent a box in the game room, when the ROKU does the same thing?) So really, no online internet connection is needed since the ROKU box only accesses the Xfinity router. COMCAST says all DATA to the ROKU comes from the living room box and will not be deducted from my monthly usage.

ROKU stocks are dropping, and they haven't had an agreement with HBO-MAX or PEACOCK. The two things I kind of want to have.  

One thing to add. The ROKU is very limited in memory cache. If I switch to NETFLIX, then to PLUTO then to HULU then back to XFINITY, the ROKU box has to load the entire APP back into memory  (0% --- 100%). It would be nice to see the ROKU to actually have an APP installed permanently for quicker access, and only update if you give it permission.

Summary, if ROKU goes down, we all go down.

0 Kudos