Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

I use headphones while my wife listens to regular TV volume — but not on Streambar

Jump to solution

I just hooked up a Streambar and found that my old Sennheiser TV headphones no longer work. Up until now, I used the headphones sitting next to my wife who listened to the regular TV volume. I read that I could use headphones with my iPhone and the mobile app, but it said that the TV volume would be silenced. How could we go back to our usual way of watching TV with me on headphones and my wife listening to regular TV volume? If you tell me there is no way, then you are doing a disservice to the hearing disabled. In that case, you should allow me to return the Streambar and exchange it for the steaming stick. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: I use headphones while my wife listens to regular TV volume — but not on Streambar

Jump to solution

@Marc1949 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Roku devices do not have the functionality to be able to listen to headphones and have TV audio at the same time.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: I use headphones while my wife listens to regular TV volume — but not on Streambar

Jump to solution

@Marc1949 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Roku devices do not have the functionality to be able to listen to headphones and have TV audio at the same time.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Danny 

That’s a very cavalier response. I hope you never are faced with hearing loss as you age. Roku should be more concerned with hearing disability and either make adjustments to its products or  possibly manufacture headphones that will work with its products. Meanwhile you didn’t respond to my request to return the Stream bar in exchange for any of your other products that will allow for the use of headphones as I described above. I know that the Roku Stick does since I have one on my bedroom TV. Roku should also state on the Streambar carton that it doesn’t work with headphones. Please show a little respect to those of us affected with hearing disabilities.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Do not buy a Streambar if you needs to use headphones

Jump to solution

Roku seems to have no concern for those of us with hearing disabilities. For the last few years, I used headphones while my wife listened to the TV’s normal volume. Now that I’ve installed the Streambar, I have learned that I can no longer do this. Even if I spent another $20 to buy a Roku remote with a headphone jack (the Streambar remote doesn’t have the jack), I still couldn’t watch TV with my wife. The headphone jack turns off the TV’s speakers. So my wife couldn’t hear the TV when she is sitting next to me. Roku ought to say on the Streambar box that it doesn’t support headphones. It’s the only fair thing to do for people with hearing disabilities. Meanwhile I’ve asked Roku to exchange my Streambar for another one of their products that would allow me to use headphones and my wife to hear the TV volume. I know the Roku Streaming Stick does, but I don’t know which of the other streamers do. But Roku seems to have ignored my request.

0 Kudos
Level 20

Re: Do not buy a Streambar if you needs to use headphones

Jump to solution

@Marc1949 

The Moderator who responded to your question just stated the truth that NO roku model will allow you to use the headphone jack on the remote at the same time your tv speakers are playing. How you had it before with roku stick was not do to any feature of the roku stick, it must of been a feature of your tv model. Tv's have audio out which has nothing to do with tv volume, you probably had your  aftermarket headphones connected to audio out of the tv, which is a line level, isn't controlled by the tv volume. What you replaced the roku stick with is the roku streambar which for it to work probably needs to use the audio out of your tv, and so no longer being used by the aftermarket headphones. Get a y-cables, split the audio out between the headphones and the roku streambar. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Level 7

Re: Do not buy a Streambar if you need to use headphones

Jump to solution

Could you elaborate on this. Should I use BOTH the HDMI and the optical port on the Streambar? If so, does the HDMI cable still get plugged into the ARC HDMI port of the TV? And where should the optical cable (with the Ycable) get plugged into the back of the TV.? My TV has a digital out port that accepts an optical cable. Is that where a Y cable from the Streambar would go? If so, what kind of Ycable would I need. Apparently it has to accept both an optical cable and RCA cable on one side and an optical plug on the other side. Could you direct me on where to get such a Ycable and what it’s called?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am still awaiting for a reply to my last question.

would this be a solution —- 

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Quality-Splitter/dp/B00HQ2R314/ref=pd_bxgy_2/143-28538...

or is there another one on this page that works?

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

All you had to do before is put a code in the remote (up up down down up up up.doen down down) and the remote and the TV speakers would work. Not sure why with the latest update they needed to disable that, if it's not broke don't fix it

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Could you elaborate on this. Should I use BOTH the HDMI and the optical port on the Streambar? If so, does the HDMI cable still get plugged into the ARC HDMI port of the TV? And where should the optical cable (with the Ycable) get plugged into the back of the TV.? My TV has a digital out port that accepts an optical cable. Is that where a Y cable from the Streambar would go? If so, what kind of Ycable would I need. Apparently it has to accept both an optical cable and RCA cable on one side and an optical plug on the other side. Could you direct me on where to get such a Ycable and what it’s called?

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have just purchased a Roku streambar and have encountered exactly the problem you describe.

My wife uses a Sennheiser TV headset connected to the TV's optical OUT socket. This has worked perfectly in the past, when using TV as source (through aerial) and also when using a connected DVD player/recorder (connected to TV via HDMI).

Now, with the Roku streambar connected, using TV as source is still fine: Sennheiser is working alongside ambient sounds from Roku streambar BUT when using HDMI (Roku) as source, the TV optical OUT produces nothing.  Having wasted a lot of time on this, I have concluded that the streambar only passes video signals to the TV, not audio ( I suppose in order that the TV's built in speakers do not work). If this is right, there is no audio signal for the TV to output to the Sennheiser. As the Roku streambar is equipped with only an optical IN socket, there seems no way of getting audio to the Sennheiser.

If this is correct, it is a huge oversight on the part of Roku engineers - who afterall are audio experts and must know that huge swathes of the population have a need to listen via more than one output, so that individuals who need different volumes can listen comfortably together.

I am extremely disappointed and frustrated by this discovery. 'Upgrading' to a streambar is in fact downgrading for us. It is a deal breaker. Streambar is unfit for purpose and its incompatibility with other output devices such as TV headsets should be highlighted to consumers upfront.

If there is any solution to our problem I should love to know.

0 Kudos