Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Hulu 4K Video and 5.1 Audio on Roku TV

Hulu announced that its app on Roku will now support 4K video and 5.1 audio. However even with the latest SW, I'm not getting either on my TCL 75R615. Anyone out there with Hulu on Roku successful in getting 4K and 5.1 audio? 

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/12/hulu-is-finally-offering-4k-and-5-1-audio-on-roku-devices/

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: Hulu 4K Video and 5.1 Audio on Roku TV

@BaxterWat 

Supporting 4K Video and 5.1 Audio and actually offering it on a majority of their library content are two different things. I think this recent press release was more about getting out that they do support 4K and 5.1 audio on the Roku platform now without stating that very little of the current library content is available in 4K and 5.1 audio.

See the brief comment from the article link you posted below:

Presently, the vast majority of content on Hulu is limited to 1080p, however. 4K titles include Hulu Originals such as The Handmaid's Tale.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Sorry, should have mentioned that I was specifically testing out shows that Hulu has confirmed as having 4K video and/or 5.1 audio such as Castle Rock and Handmaid's Tale. But unfortunately no luck.

Do TCL TVs perhaps run a slightly modified version of apps from the ones on the standard Roku platform on standalone Roku devices? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

@BaxterWat wrote:

Sorry, should have mentioned that I was specifically testing out shows that Hulu has confirmed as having 4K video and/or 5.1 audio such as Castle Rock and Handmaid's Tale. But unfortunately no luck.

Do TCL TVs perhaps run a slightly modified version of apps from the ones on the standard Roku platform on standalone Roku devices? 

Ah. Okay. Not sure if the Hulu app is slightly different for Roku TV over a standalone Roku device. Plus, the Hulu app on Roku TV has never had an option to display streaming information, so I don't even know how we could confirm a 4K video source. Audio information we can likely get from our external audio setup.

It would be nice if Hulu began displaying supported video and audio on the detail screen of movies and tv episodes like most other major streamers (Netflix, Prime Video, etc.).

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 9

I'm curious about this as well. I did not see any HDR flags raised on my TCL 4K Roku TV but I also noticed TV devices are not explicitly listed in the updated support page:

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/video-quality?language=en_US

Highlighted
Level 13

@markazali wrote:

I'm curious about this as well. I did not see any HDR flags raised on my TCL 4K Roku TV but I also noticed TV devices are not explicitly listed in the updated support page:

https://help.hulu.com/s/article/video-quality?language=en_US

HDR was not mentioned in the press release. I would just be happy with 5.1 Audio on more content, then 4K at least on all Hulu Originals. HDR / Dolby Vision video and Dolby ATMOS audio are likely further out.

I put a request in the IDEA section of the HULU community that they should be providing Video and Audio information for TV Episodes and Movies on detail screens. Netflix, Prime Video, VUDU and Disney+ do. So should Hulu now that they are providing higher video and audio capabilities for 'some' content. All we can do is guess at this point.

Highlighted
Level 8

Seven months have passed since the first post in this thread and 4K and 5.1 audio are still not available in the Hulu app on Roku TVs (or, at least, on my TCL Roku TVs).  I'm wondering if there is some technical issue preventing this (which seems unlikely) -- or if Hulu is intentionally leaving TCL Roku TVs behind?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I'm happy to report that 5.1 audio now works on the Hulu app on my TCL Roku TV.  Thanks, Hulu!  I guess my post above did the trick ;-)

0 Kudos