Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregL65
Level 8

How to temporarily disable streaming on Roku TV

Jump to solution

We have a 4K Sanyo Roku TV. We're in danger of exceeding our internet provider's monthly data allotment.

How can I temporarily disable streaming so that the Roku TV doesn't use any more of our data allotment until I re-enable it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: How to temporarily disable streaming on Roku TV

Jump to solution

@GregL65 

Thanks for the clarification.

You could try disabling your network by accessing your settings from the Home page and selecting Settings > System > Network connection reset > Reset connection. This would erase your current network settings requiring you to set up your network connect again, effectively disabling streaming until you set up your network connection again.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@GregL65 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Can you please elaborate on what you are trying to do? Do you just want to disconnect your network connection to disable streaming? 

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
GregL65
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes, that would work -- temporarily disconnecting the network connection to disable streaming. I see a setting that shows me the network connection but doesn't seem to offer a way of changing or disconnecting it.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@GregL65 

Thanks for the clarification.

You could try disabling your network by accessing your settings from the Home page and selecting Settings > System > Network connection reset > Reset connection. This would erase your current network settings requiring you to set up your network connect again, effectively disabling streaming until you set up your network connection again.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
GregL65
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thanks! I found it under:

Under Home > Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset.

Now if I could just find a way to reduce the max streamed resolution from 4K to HD, that should greatly reduce our usage when needed too:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Discussions/How-to-reduce-display-resolution-on-Roku-TV-to-conserve-ba...

0 Kudos
LilyRose72
Level 7

Jump to solution

Is it possible to use the Roku app to temporarily disable streaming?  I'm at work and don't want my roommate to have access to my Roku

0 Kudos