Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregL65
Level 8

How to reduce display resolution on Roku TV to conserve bandwidth

We have a 4K Sanyo Roku TV. We're in danger of exceeding our internet provider's monthly data allotment. 

How can I reduce display resolution to use less data? I found instructions that seem to apply to an external Roku device, but I wasn't able to find the setting on my Roku TV.

4 REPLIES 4\
RyanRok
Level 7

Re: How to reduce display resolution on Roku TV to conserve bandwidth

I have this same issue, and so far have not found a way. I would love an answer from Roku on this.

I've tried the "secret" streaming menu (press home 5 times, back 3 times, forward 2 times) but changing that setting has no effect. 

0 Kudos
Landofoz39
Level 7

i would love to know the answer too. I can use the secret menu to set the bitrate on my roku 3 on my living room TV. But we got our daughter an actual roku tv for Christmas (not a 4k one, since she's only 17 and will be taking it to college soon). And I can't get the secret menu to work on her tv, so I can't set the bitrate lower than auto (and with our gigablast internet, it is most likely set to 12mbps which eats our home data each month.). We have 1.25 tb cap with our home internet, and we get close to hitting it now. 

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Level 14

@Landofoz39 wrote:

i would love to know the answer too. I can use the secret menu to set the bitrate on my roku 3 on my living room TV. But we got our daughter an actual roku tv for Christmas (not a 4k one, since she's only 17 and will be taking it to college soon). And I can't get the secret menu to work on her tv, so I can't set the bitrate lower than auto (and with our gigablast internet, it is most likely set to 12mbps which eats our home data each month.). We have 1.25 tb cap with our home internet, and we get close to hitting it now. 

I'm not familiar with this at all. But, a couple thoughts.

1. The instructions above your post say back thrice, forward twice. It's actually rewind & ff. (Maybe you understood that already. I think of back & forward being the left/right arrow keys. Maybe that's just me.).

2. If you can't access that menu, routers often have a QoS feature which lets you throttle either a device, or all devices (and then give priority to certain devices if necessary. My inexpensive TP-Link AX1500 has this.). Maybe you could protect yourself that way.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
GregL65
Level 8

@Visitor45763 wrote:

2. If you can't access that menu, routers often have a QoS feature which lets you throttle either a device, or all devices (and then give priority to certain devices if necessary. My inexpensive TP-Link AX1500 has this.). Maybe you could protect yourself that way.

My router has that feature. But I think that would just make it spend more time buffering. Throttling it enough that a 4K show consumed the same amount of data as a HD show would mean spending about 3/4 of the time buffering, I would think.

Instead, my solution lately has been to completely cut off the TV (from the router software) when we get too close to our limit. We often get very close; once we hit 99.3% of the month's allotment. 

Another huge consumer of bandwidth has been automatic updating of XBox and PS4 games. One day my 17yo played just two games, both of which automatically updated for a combined hit of 56GB. He says the games won't let you play unless you update, if an update is available. And as far as we can tell, just accessing the game, and finding out that it wants to update, makes it download the update -- you can tell it not to update but you can't stop it from downloading the update. And blocking the game consoles from the router means they can't play with friends online. So trying to hold the line on game updates has been frustrating. I have to leave a sizable buffer because I never know when several GB are going to come in on one of the game consoles.