Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redline29
Reel Rookie

How to perform a factory reset when Roku is stuck in Guest Mode

Jump to solution

Please help!

I have a Roku TV by Hisense (65") at a rental cabin. It was not in guest mode, and one of my guests must have done a factory reset, added the TV to their Roku account, and then put the TV in guest mode.

I used to be able to see this TV on my Roku account, but it has disappeared. (This is how I knew there was a problem to investigate.)

When I try to exit the TV from guest mode, it asks for a PIN. My account PIN does not work -- because as I mentioned already, the guest put this TV on their account and must have used their own PIN when setting up guest mode.

I tried to do a factory reset by placing a pin into the pinhole button on the TV. I tried this three times, and no matter how long I held the button down, it would only go to recovery mode, which then returned me to guest mode on this unknown account.

To make matters worse, on the fourth attempt of pressing in the recessed button, the button broke off. I physically heard it drop to the bottom of the TV. So now, pressing the reset button on the TV isn't an option anymore.

Short of just guessing the PIN and getting out of guest mode, is there anything I can do to reclaim control of my TV?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How to perform a factory reset when Roku is stuck in Guest Mode

Jump to solution

@redline29

Thanks for the post.

If a guest linked the Roku device to their Roku account, you will need to perform a factory reset on the TV and relink the device to your account.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: System restart or factory reset your Roku

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@redline29

Thanks for the post.

If a guest linked the Roku device to their Roku account, you will need to perform a factory reset on the TV and relink the device to your account.

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: System restart or factory reset your Roku

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
redline29
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-RIf you read my post, you will see that I tried to do a factory reset three times using the pinhole button on the TV. No matter how many long I pressed the button, the TV booted in recovery mode, and then it went back to the other person's guest account.

On the next try, the pinhole button broke (I physically heard it fall to the bottom of the TV when I pressed it). So now, short of guessing the pin, I have no physical way to do a factory reset.

Is there anything at all I can do, or do I just have to keep guessing the PIN number to get this TV out of this other person's guest mode?

0 Kudos
redline29
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks so much @Harvini -- I am not presently at the cabin, but I will give this a try as soon as I get there. Do you think this will work in guest mode?

Thanks again for taking the time to write!

0 Kudos
Harvini
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I really don't know whether this will work in guest mode or not.  That is one operating mode of the TV I have not visited.

0 Kudos