Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lesmikesell
Level 13

Re: Pairing bluetooth device to Roku TV

Jump to solution

Use the roku phone app, and leave the speaker paired to your phone where it probably already is.

0 Kudos
K31ffr0
Level 7

Jump to solution

I hate my Roku TV so much that I bought A firestick and set the tv to always go that input!!! I cant find their stupid speakers anywhere in Canada and on the U.S. Website they want almost twice as much as I paid for tv at walmart. Not to mention the app selection Sucks!!!

Stay away, get a Googletv or Amazon fire stick. Which btw has no problem connecting Bluetooth devices and supports all the big services! Not just Netflix!

Oh and forgot to mention, their solution of running audio through the phone; be ready for huge delay in audio, completely out is sync. If they would just unlock the Bluetooth I wouldn't feel so ripped off!

Dr_Destructo
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just put the Roku TV in the garbage. I’ll watch my old Sony Bravia till the new one comes. U lying scumbags will never get another dollar from me and I just went on every consumer affairs site I could and told every single person to NEVER BUY a Roku product ever again. Lying scumbags. 

lesmikesell
Level 13

Jump to solution

Just for perspective, when I bought my 2017 model Sony Bravia that cost about 4x the current TCL equivalent, it did not support audio over bluetooth either.    It was added around a year later in an update to the android OS.   And it's a feature that hasn't been as useful to me as the Roku ability to send to a phone app and the headphones already paired to the phone.  If I had cared, I would have spent the $10 or so for an add-on bluetooth transmitter.

0 Kudos
CC-CC
Level 7

Jump to solution

That's really pathetic that you can't use another blue-tooth device. Just bad business.

lesmikesell
Level 13

Jump to solution

I agree that it would be best to also let it pair directly with any audio device, but given a choice, I'd pick the phone app approach.   I use it much more often than I use headphones with a different TV that could pair directly but would require extra steps to connect and then re-pair with the phone later.

0 Kudos
Traveler1t
Level 9

Jump to solution

Respectfully, some of the posts on this thread miss the point--yes Roku/TCL should sell a TV that can Bluetooth connect with 3rd party devices. The point I raised earlier is that when I bought the TV two years ago, it could connect with any Bluetooth device. It was after Roku issued their latest firmware upgrade about two months ago, that functionality was removed. Now, maybe, with full disclosure, they can do that with new TVs on the market, but to remove, without my consent, the functionality that I bought two years ago, is bad faith and a breach of contract. 

lesmikesell
Level 13

Jump to solution

Sounds vaguely similar to Sony removing the ability to run Linux on their PS3 game console in an update.  As I recall, the class action settlement paid about $10 - about 10 years after the event.    So, while it is technically wrong - and illegal - to remove features, in a practical sense you are probably better off buying an external bluetooth transmitter dongle if that is something you need now.

MashaT22
Level 8

Re: Pairing bluetooth device to Roku TV?

Jump to solution

Hey @Skydogmatt — Can you provide step by step instructions? I’d REALLY appreciate more specific guidance for this workaround because I’m not seeing how to connect a transmitter directly to my Roku Ultra (or even the speakers). Like am I plugging the transmitter into the Ultra via that USB port? What am I stupidly missing here, lol?

I have several low latency transmitters that might work. Is there a specific one you’d recommend from Amazon just in case mine don’t work well?

I am also wondering if anyone has a solution via jail breaking their Roku. I’d rather not resort to this, but does anyone happen to know?

Thanks SO much @Skydogmatt!

@Skydogmatt wrote:

Yes there is a way....

buy a low latency transmitter from amazon for about 25.00. I recommend aventree but its a bit more expensive.. 50-75.00.... from the transmitter you can have bluetooth enabled however you must use low latency speakers or the lip sync will be off which is annoying as **bleep**. Its an additional expense but.... you now have full bluetooth capability on your roke tv and it can be hard wired into a sound system with audio cables provided.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Re: Pairing bluetooth device to Roku TV?

Jump to solution

Use the TV audio out jack.  Depending on the TV you may have a headphone jack that will kill the speaker output and RCA and/or optical outputs that may have a configuration option to run with or instead of the tv internal speakers.