Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JYousse
Channel Surfer

Re: Vertical green lines

Jump to solution

The problem was not corrected in the last update.  Hopefully some one will correct this soon.  It happens to me a couple times a week. 

Roku if you are reading this.  Please correct this problem.  It makes using your product a poor experience.   Thank you.  Jim

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @JYousse,

Thanks for following up!

Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. Since your affected device is a TCL Roku TV, we suggest contacting TCL support for further assistance. They'll be the best ones to help with your concern.

You can reach them here.

We appreciate your understanding.  

All the best,

Kariza

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I have been having the same issue on 2 Westinghouse Roku TVs that I own with YouTube green screen problem. Both of these TVs have been purchased in the last 4 months. In order the fix the problem I need to restart the from the menu. 

0 Kudos
JYousse
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you Kariza for your response.  I will try to contact TCL, but as a single consumer my voice doesn't have much influence with a big tv manufacturer.  I don't have the expertise to help isolate the problem.  As a consumer I see that using Roku as my streaming device doesn't work very well.  Maybe I should be using a different streaming option.

I would think that Roku as a company may wish to add their voice to this technical issue. I would hope that Roku would want the people purchasing any device that uses Roku OS to be happy.  Not just say it's not our problem, contact the tv manufacturer. 

Please consider adding Roku's clout to help resolve this.  It would be a win-win for both us Roku TV consumers and Roku as a company.

Thanks for your consideration.

Jim

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I did not contact Westinghouse with the issue with my TVs. I figured that the problem was very intermittent and a restart is an easy enough workaround for myself. If the green screen problems on my 2 Westinghouse TVs ever becomes too frequent then I will give a call to Westinghouse tech support. 

HisenseTV_Owner
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

RokuDanny-R, This is apparently happening on several makes of ROKU TVs.  Unless they are all the same TVs simply rebranded with different manufacturer's names, the only thig common is the ROKU operating system (if that's what you want to call it).  In my case, the TV is a HISENSE ROKU TV.  Doing a restart from the system menu clears the problem temporarily.  Unfortunately it continues to happen.

Does ROKU have any intention of looking into this very common problem with ROKU TV's?  In spite of your position that any fault lies with the 'different' TV manufacturer, to the consumer, what they purchased is a ROKU TV.  By deflecting the issue with a basically "not my problem" response, you and ROKU are the one's looking bad in the eyes of the consumers.  Perhaps you should reconsider and have ROKU look into this very frustrating issue on behalf of those who chose a ROKU TV for their viewing.

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku's policy for TV support is that customers need to call the TV manufacturers and report problems. I did not call Westinghouse for my intermittent vertical green lines issues when trying to open YouTube on my two Westinghouse TVS. I am not sure if the problem has been resolved by me updating all of my Roku TVs to 10.0.0. or it might be still happening on my two Westinghouse, I don't use those two TVs very frequently. I did call Westinghouse for an unrelated issue and I was on hold for less than 5 minutes. The option is to call your TV manufacturer and report the issue is the correct way for support. That way the issue is logged in the TV manufacture's trouble ticketing system. I personally see the support community as an unofficial way for support as opposed to calling manufacture's for official warranty support.

0 Kudos
HisenseTV_Owner
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I recently performed an update to bring my Hisense ROKU TV to version 10.0.0 of the Firmware (operating system?).  Since then, the TV has not experienced the intermittent green bar screen when streaming starts.  Apparently this was, as suspected, a ROKU firmware problem.  I never contacted the TV manufacturer.  I just kept looking to see if any updates were available. When version 10.0.0 showed up, I downloaded and installed it, and the problem has apparently been fixed.  The question is, who provided the update?  Hisense or ROKU? Were other manufacturer's ROKU TVs "fixed" by the same or a similar update?  If this was a ROKU problem (as I suspect it was), why was the company so reluctant to admit it and say they were working on a fix?  It may be a moot issue now, but my opinion of ROKU as a supplier has slipped a bit, and that's a shame.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

We don't know exactly how many TVs had the same problem as us. I know my older Sharp Roku TV manufactured in 2018 it did not have the problem. The problem only existed on my two Westinghouse TVs manufactured in 2020. My speculation is that all Roku TVs from all the different manufactures have the same exact hardware for whatever the current model year is current. Hence, why my Sharp Roku TV 2018 model year was not effected, but my two Westinghouse 2020 model year were effected. 

0 Kudos
DannyD69
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I was told that holding down on the power button while the TV is unplugged releases any built up static electricity stored up inside the tv's components.