Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdclark
Channel Surfer

How to fix the YouTube CC option suddenly missing

Jump to solution

Device is a TCL 49S405, some time in the last week or so, the YouTube app no longer has the CC button on videos, whether this is auto-generated captions or otherwise.  The same videos have the CC option when I use YouTube on my Pixel 5.  Is this only happening to me?  I don't know anyone else that has a Roku TV to check with.  I forced an update last night and apparently it did install a channel update for YouTube, but the problem persists.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bdclark
Channel Surfer

Re: How to fix the YouTube CC option suddenly missing

Jump to solution

I've found a fix for it, try removing the channel and then add it back. Just tested and it's working again!

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

Re: YouTube CC option is gone

Jump to solution

I created a login for this just to tell you....YES!  I am having this issue too and it's driving me crazy! I also wondered if it was just me, so thanks for the validation

I tried restarting my Roku but that did nothing. when I cast with CC on from my phone or desktop to my Roku the captions disappear as well.  I hope this is fixed soon because it's very annoying for me. 

0 Kudos
bdclark
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I've found a fix for it, try removing the channel and then add it back. Just tested and it's working again!

Jump to solution

oh my gosh, THANK YOU!! that worked for me! 🙏🏽 

Sam2518
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, this does work, but only temporarily...at least for me anyway. Whenever an ad comes on, the CC option gets removed again. I've had to delete and re-add the channel on my Roku three times now. Definitely needs a more permanent solution and seems to be an issue with the app or Roku. Hopefully this gets looked into soon. 

the91

Re: YouTube TV & Closed Captions

Jump to solution

Has anyone had the option to use closed caption disappear on them ? It worked fine before but today ( February 19 2022) the option is no longer available for me.

0 Kudos
JudH
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Gone for me too -- all videos including those that the option yesterday. Even with hearing aids I miss a lot -- I need CC to work.

0 Kudos
Roadrashtx

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. Started a couple of days ago. Removing the channel and re-adding it works for a while but then eventually I have to do it again. I have done it at least 3 times now. 

0 Kudos
bdclark
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yep I can confirm, it's definitely a temporary fix.  And I'm using YouTube Premium, so no ads so that's not it.  Seems to stop working when I exit the app.  I just sent off a support email to YouTube, so we'll see where that gets us.

JudH
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Setting "Reset App" brought back the CC option box (all CC options font color etc back to default) UNTIL I exited youtube. Next time selected--gone again. Removing and reinstalling the youtube channel did the same. Just signing out/in had no effect on the CC box. About shows an update on 2/15.

0 Kudos