Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: TCL TV loop restart

Jump to solution

Have TCL 55in tv with the same issue, have tired to update on wifi, with Ethernet connected, connected to Cell phone and Via USB. Factory reset didn't help either. I have tried everything I've read on the internet with no luck. 6 month old TV is bricked and I don't have the receipt.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Fatallyyours504 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku TV along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dawnde86

Jump to solution

Same issue, the tv just keeps turning itself off and on!!!! Help!!! I have 2 other roku sticks that work find but I am unable to set the tv up at all  

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Dawnde86 

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us with more information about the issue you are experiencing? What exactly is happening? How often is this occurring and when are you seeing this happen?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
deeseeko

Jump to solution

I am having what I think is the same issue. The TV will not boot up at all. It goes to the red "TCL TV", "ROKU" "4K HDR" red screen. Then turns off and back on. Reset button on the TV doing nothing.

not_a_fan
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue.

• unplugged for 15 mins - got me back to the TCL screen, but tv restarted and got purple screen asking for language.
  • held down rest button for 45 sec - restarted with purple screen asking for language
  • downloaded update from the tcl (maroon) menu - restarted and got purple screen. 
  • downloaded to flash drive (update.roku filename) plugged in and uploaded to tv - restart to purple screen.

is there anything else i can do outside of wait for roku to put something to provide a remedy.

i do not use this tv to watch tv. this tv is useless for me for anything that roku has to offer me. i use this as a security monitor. i need you got to figure something out and patch it or do something that allos me to regain control over my tv. stop making update mandatory. allow me to roll back. whatever you have to do without making my tv useless because your updates are garbage.

0 Kudos
not_a_fan
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix my TCL TV stuck in an endless update loop

Jump to solution

just got off the phone with support.

1. unplug the TV from the wall completely.
  2. press and hold the power button on the TV (located on bottom side of TV, behind the white plastic light) for 15 seconds.
  3. problem solved.

Other Roku resources that you might find helpful:

Randopod
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

>The TV will not boot up at all. It goes to the red "TCL TV", "ROKU" "4K HDR"

>red screen. Then turns off and back on. Reset button on the TV doing nothing.

My TCL TV was going through this exact behavior.   No combination of reset/power cycling worked and TCL wanted me to send my TV to a service center.  I was close to giving up on it when I saw the post up-thread that mentioned that this behavior indicates that the TV is trying to update using the USB port.  I figured I'd give it something to update with and downloaded the update.roku** file, placed it on a 4GB FAT32-formated thumb drive, inserted it in the USB port on the TV, plugged in the TV, and the TV booted to a menu (I think it was the "Lets get started" menu).  I went through the setup and everything is working again.  Yay!

**The procedure for downloading the 'update.roku' file is complicated by the fact that the only way to get the Roku Model Number (note, not the TV model number) is through the TV UI which, inconveniently, you can't get to due to being stuck in the boot loop.  There is probably a table somewhere where you can look them up based on the TV serial number or model number but I couldn't find it.  I managed to find mine by trying variations of a Roku Model Number for a similar TCL Roku TV mentioned in the forums here. 

When you enter the brand, Roku Model Number, and serial number, and press 'Next' the download form will prompt like this when you try a Roku Model Number of 7116X:

7116X - 43S513 or 43S515 or 43S517. Is this correct? [Cancel] [Confirm]

If your TV model isn't listed, try again after incrementing/decrementing digits in the Roku Model Number.  For my 43S405, the Roku Model Number turned out to be 7126X.

If you can't find it this way, you could probably ask here in the forums to see if anyone knows the Roku Model Number for your TCL model, just be sure to give the full TCL model number.

I hope this helps.

Useful links:
Instructions for updating via USB
Download 'update.roku' for USB update

Tags (3)
JohnCap523
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@not_a_fan wrote:

just got off the phone with support.

1. unplug the TV from the wall completely.
  2. press and hold the power button on the TV (located on bottom side of TV, behind the white plastic light) for 15 seconds.
  3. problem solved.

That's not a fix or diagnosis, that's a workaround, and I assure you it will do it again...and again...and again. Mine did it on day 2 (of ownership) and is back on day 5, hours after I cancelled an order for a new other brand replacement TV, that is no longer in stock now.

0 Kudos
tcl_man31

Jump to solution

I bought a TCL Series 4 Roku 55" 4K TV a year ago during Black Friday and woke up to it having these same problems (booting to TCL Roku 4K HDR screen and then turning off). I tried the method holding down the power button and unplugging from wall to no avail.

What eventually did work was holding down the dedicated reset button (with a pen) above the USB port on the side of the TV. This got me to the Roku setup/activation screen. I logged back in from there and now it seems to be back to normal. It automatically redownloaded all my apps.

Just for note, I do not and never have had anything plugged into the USB port, and my TV is wired with an Ethernet cable to my router. This is definitely a frustrating problem for a TV that is only one year old.