Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mitzer

How to fix my Roku TV stuck in an endless update loop

Jump to solution

I have a Roku TV by TCL and it's doing the same thing. I've had mine for a little over a year and noticed that it wasn't updating the software. I only noticed because I was trying to get the Disney+ channel working since it wasn't showing up. I went through all the support suggestions and it ended in a factory reset. Now my TV is just a TV. Since it's stuck in an endless update loop. I even delinked the device in order to start over and reactivate.

Any solutions for this yet?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
not_a_fan
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix my TCL TV stuck in an endless update loop

Jump to solution

just got off the phone with support.

1. unplug the TV from the wall completely.
  2. press and hold the power button on the TV (located on bottom side of TV, behind the white plastic light) for 15 seconds.
  3. problem solved.

Other Roku resources that you might find helpful:

View solution in original post

78 REPLIES 78
RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

Re: TCL TV loop restart

Jump to solution

@Mitzer Thanks for the note here. It sounds like you'll need to get in touch with your Roku TV manufacturer for more help if performing a factory reset on the TV isn't helping clear up the issue. You can locate TCL support's contact information here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Lingai

Jump to solution

Just had this issue and got off the phone with support. Youll need to press and hold the reset button on the tv for 15 seconds. It is located near wear you would plug in the hdmi cables to the tv. You will have to reconnect internet and log in afterwards, but it fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
antman

Jump to solution

The reset button is not solving the problem 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@antman 

Thanks for the post.

Please make sure to hold down the reset button for at least 30 seconds regardless of what happens on the screen.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue, we would recommend contacting TCL support to inquire further? Each Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for their products running the Roku OS. 

You can reach TCL here: https://support.tclusa.com/televisions or at 1-877-300-8837.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Magione

Jump to solution

Having same issue and support closed til Monday.

rocky-racoon
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I have similar problem with TCL 40 TV. Try selecting commerial use instead of home use. You can disable the ad stuff in the setup, later. Check your network settings and if you can see your MAC address and wi-fi network you should be able to add all your channels and be good to go. The loop should stop. If I selected home it put me in a loop which basically was being caused by the wi-fi MAC address being changed and going to zeros. If you see zeros in the MAC address you probably have the same problem I have.

I ran fine until I Roku did it's self updating and downloaded version 9.3.0. Now I no longer can access to my network and the commercial/store setup selction no longer updates the MAC -- the network is dead. And, the 9.3.0 version is the only one I see from Roku. IMO this appears to be a Roku problem. The TCL folks say Rokus does the sofware.

WHERE IS THE ROKU HW SW SUPPORT!! Do they exist of are fellow users/bloggers the tech support as well. If so, where my $$ 

0 Kudos
vinvin

Jump to solution

i'm stuck at the "lets get started" menu. Nothing works now. I've tried the reset.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@vinvin 

Thanks for the post.

Are you pointing the remote at the IR sensor on the TV? Roku TV remotes work through IR and will need a direct line of sight in order to control your TV.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
signalexc

Jump to solution

Same thing - stuck in a loop restart. Then I read on an older forum (reddit) that TCLs will get this way when it is seeking out firmware, particularly from the USB port. (I have a bluetooth headphone hub powered by the USB) So I unplugged that, and all HDMI cables, etc. Reset again, then turned it on, and viola! It worked. Now I only plug in my bluetooth headphones when I need to use them. 

0 Kudos