Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dawilsoniv

Re: Sound Distorted TCL TV

Jump to solution

A system restart always solves the problem for me the annoying thing is that eventually it happens again but the system restart always resets it.

0 Kudos
dmfox77
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just a heads up for anyone trying to troubleshoot your favorite PC or Laptop movie watching software do this fix for your TV first if you use your Roku TV for a 2nd or even a main monitor. I thought it was my software acting up and having some kind of issue when it was just the Roku TV doing the choppy sound effects. I unplugged the Roku TV for about 10 seconds and tried the programs again and all the choppiness in the sound was fixed.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Lindap62

Jump to solution

Mine, bought yesterday 1-6-3021, sounds like they are speaking into a tin can. Is SO annoying.  Anyone know a fix for this? 

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Lindap62 wrote:

Mine, bought yesterday 1-6-3021, sounds like they are speaking into a tin can. Is SO annoying.  Anyone know a fix for this? 

When watching antenna tv, if I press the "*" settings button on the remote, I see a setting for audio. Different tonal ranges. Mine is set to "normal." (I have those choices when watching YouTube, and pressing the "*".). But, if you just got it, I don't see how it wouldn't be defaulted to "normal" already. Unless someone bought & returned it.

You might also try home>settings>system>power>restart. Sometimes that fixes glitches.

You can use external speakers (turn the tv speakers off in home>settings>audio). 

Honestly, if you're not happy with it after one day, I would return it. 

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Mine sounded like it was really far away and very flat. I have had this TV up for 10 hours it has only been on for 4 of those hours. This is not ok TCL after turning off all of the atmos sound and even sound all together in the menu. The only thing that worked was unplugging and plugging back in. TCL seriously hope this is something that can be patched with an update. 

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@InanimateLayla wrote: I have had this TV up for 10 hours it has only been on for 4 of those hours. 

Return it if you're not happy. You'll probably end up regretting that later (if you don't). There's no way to know if it's a TCL or Roku problem. (As time goes on, the problems tend to be caused by Roku's careless software updates.). If you don't want to return it, I would at least contact TCL about a warranty claim. I would get that started as soon as possible, so it's clear that it had a problem out of the box.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Kai19

Jump to solution

I reset the TV using the command:

Home 5x, Up 1x, Rewind 2x, Fast Forward 2x. 

Tags (3)
Lebooth1

Jump to solution

I found that worked, too.  Hit the asterisk button on the toku remote and turn volume mode off.  I have had to do this a couple times now.

Mills-1973
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Mine was already on off and started doing so I switch mine to leveling just now I try bought my TV in November just started messing up with distorted sound and goes out all the way before I had to turn tv off 5 10 min work for a hour if lucky strat right back it is a bad board are chip from factory are the programming on the application when made i think In  software 

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Mills-1973 wrote:  bought my TV in November

I would start a warranty claim with the manufacturer. They'll probably tell you it's Roku's problem (Roku will string you a long forever. This thread started a year ago. Lots of "passing it along.").

Roku doesn't test its updates, and you may have been updated with a particularly bad once since November (I got my reality check Dec. 20.). You can look at home>settings>system>system-update. It will tell you when your tv was last updated.

If that date coincides with when your problem started (or, even if it doesn't), I would try home>settings>system>advanced factory-reset. During the initial setup, tell it you'll setup the network connection later (but, don't ever do it). This seems to load an older, less buggy (less updated) version of the software. You could stream through HDMI with an inexpensive external streaming device. (I'm using Firestick Lite. $22).

That's not a bad way to just move on, without having to buy a new tv, or deal with people who don't want to warrant their mess. Even if you got the tv manufacturer to fix it, Roku's untested updates are like a box of chocolates. You'll still be vulnerable to being broken. (Lots of people here with green screens, and the famous Roku never-ending recovery loop. The years' long mac-addr zeroes problem. After you realize how little regard Roku has for its customers, there's a lot to be said for cutting the cord from Roku, and keep your options more modular -- not all your eggs in one basket.).

#walkaway