Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joansz
Channel Surfer

Re: Tv keeps turning on by itself

Jump to solution

We had the same problem. The tv turned on around 3 am while we were asleep. Woke us up. This happened twice. We are in our own home with no line of sight from anywhere else so I think it's a command coming over the internet.

0 Kudos
Mz2hot
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Alexa or Siri may be the culprit.  I have another Roku connected to my Alexa but sometimes I am lazy and I say Alexa “turn on the tv” but nothing happens in the room I am in.  I quickly remember to say Alexa “turn the Master Bedroom Roku on and the tv comes on.  The days later I notice the tv is on in the other room.  I didn’t put it together until today when I decided to check to see if the tv was in fact connected to the Alexa. I said the command and went into the other room and sure enough the power came on.  Long Story Short Check your home automation.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Likewise if you use the roku app on your phone and have multiple devices, just selecting the wrong one will power it on even if you don't hit the power button.

0 Kudos
Joansz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Nope. Firstly, I don't have it on any other device, always use the remote. Secondly, we were asleep both times the TV connected to the Roku input (instead of cable), turned on and woke us up.

0 Kudos
Joansz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Don't have a Siri or Alexa or any other such device. I don't feel like connecting all my electronic devices--single point of failure and all that.

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Joansz  maybe you were snoring or passing gas loudly in your sleep.

That happened to me once.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Joansz
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Robot surprised Wow, I had no idea that I was so powerful.

Jump to solution

I have the same problem since the update for HomeKit/Airplay (which I use).

In this case, the Streaming Stick+ fires up my old DLP w/o my asking it to; it's on another floor in another room.

I'm at a loss knowing how to defeat this issue; DLPs have lamps with limited hours (consumables) and this is costing me.

BTW: over 25 time with the I AM NOT A ROBOT verifier?? What the (place expletive here)

Jen5

Re: How to fix TV that keeps turning on by itself

Jump to solution

Hey my tv was doing this yesterday. I went into the settings and found restart. So I restarted the tv and it hasn't happened since. 

0 Kudos
xarmian
Reel Rookie

Re: How to fix TV that keeps turning on by itself

Jump to solution

My TCL Roku TV (55") started turning on in the middle of the night as well a few weeks ago. It did it again last night, also at around 3am. In Settings->Sytem->System update I can see that it checked for an update at 3:13am. My theory right now is that the TV is turning on in the middle of the night to check for an update, not finding one, and then sitting on the home screen until it times out.