Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xojulia
Reel Rookie

How to fix Roku TV error 009

Jump to solution

I bought this tv almost a month ago and I still can’t use it. How do I speak to a love person to run through WiFi connection steps I’ve tried everything and keep getting the error 009 and my internet works perfectly fine. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TV error 009

Jump to solution

Roku does not provide support for the TVs, as they are not the manufacturer. They only provide the operating system. I've seen that error message posted here before, but I can't recall what the issue might have been. 

If your WiFi password has special characters, (such as !, $, & or similar) that might be the problem. Roku devices will only connect if the password is just letters (upper and/or lower case is fine) and numbers.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Roku does not provide support for the TVs, as they are not the manufacturer. They only provide the operating system. I've seen that error message posted here before, but I can't recall what the issue might have been. 

If your WiFi password has special characters, (such as !, $, & or similar) that might be the problem. Roku devices will only connect if the password is just letters (upper and/or lower case is fine) and numbers.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: How to fix Roku TV error 009

Jump to solution

@Xojulia 

Thanks for the post.

For troubleshooting steps regarding that error code, visit our Support page here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
mnvw

Jump to solution

Hi, I had a similar issue where my once connected TCL Roku TV started saying it wasn’t connected but still actually was. The error messages were annoying enough to reset the network connection and also a factory reset and then I was unable to connect to my cable Internet at all. It would however connect to my phone hotspot instantly. When trying to connect to the main home Wifi it would give me the first green check mark, but fail at the second Internet step. After many support calls with Google WiFi, TCL and my ISP... no one could figure it out. Today, I tried the test connection option in the network menu and after 5-10 seconds it said it was connected. So I had my answer — the WiFi connection process does not allow much if any latency in the network, but the connection test allowed enough time to connect. I called my ISP and they disconnected and reprovisioned my modem and the latency was resolved and the TV was able to connect. I hope this saves someone the frustrating journey I was on the past 2 weeks. 

mheyman

Jump to solution

I have had this problem on two different new Roku devices. The latest is the Roku Express delivered yesterday. It connects to "Wifi" but claims it can not connect to the Internet. That is most confusing. If it is, in fact, connected to the router using the Password provided then it IS connected to the Internet. If it is refusing to use the password that has the special character "_" then the message is EXTREMELY mislead

I have no intention of changing the password on all of our devices and all of our friends' devices who come and go. The Roku device upstairs is connected and perfectly happy on that network with that password. Is there some other diagnostic or explanation?

0 Kudos
Ewastee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am in a hotel with no access to their router. I have connected to the network at this hotel nearly a dozen times. I have cleared my cache I have cleared all my network settings I have restarted my Roku. I have done all I can think of. Does anyone have anything else I could try?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Ewastee

Thanks for the post.

Are you making sure to connect to the wireless network using the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature on the Roku device? 

For more information about the Hotel & Dorm Connect feature on your Roku device, visit our Support page here: Hotel & Dorm Connect

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Ewastee
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

it never gets to that stage... i find the list of networks, choose the open on for the hotel.... it connects to teh wireless, and proceeds to check the internet connection.... at which point it times out/ gives the error 009 code. if it would connect to the internet, then i would have the instruction to pair my device to it, then put in the password for the wireless there, then it would connect.

For Q/A purposes, I pared it to my MiFi device, with no issues! 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Ewastee

Thanks for the follow up.

That specific error code is regarding connectivity issues between the wireless network and the Roku device. Since you are able to connect the Roku device to the MiFi device, this would re-iterate this point. 

For more information about that specific error code, visit our Support page here: Set up or fix your internet connection

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos