Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gadrago
Channel Surfer

Re: How to connect a Roku TV to a receiver using HDMI cable

@Not_very_fast:  1) If you have connected the digital audio cable from the TV to the receiver DTV/CBL optical input jack, after turning on TV and receiver, are you selecting DTV/CBL as input source button on the remote control to connect to that digital audio input on the receiver?  2) If that doesn't work, try connecting the receiver end of the digital optical cable to the CD optical digital input on the receiver and select the CD source button on the remote control? 3) If neither works, when you unplug the digital optical cable at the receiver end and look into it, do you see (red) light?  Sometimes there is a tiny cap covering the center conductor through which the light is transmitted on both ends of the optical digital cable, which must be removed at both ends before inserting the digital optical cable into the TV and receiver jacks.

Also in the TV menu, you are correct that 'Search for CEC devices' and  'Auto-detect' have no meaning except for HDMI connections (not for S/PDIF), so a coaxial digital or optical digital connection will not be auto-detected and will not be searched for.  In the TV menu, Settings, Audio, S/PDIF and ARC, are you selecting something other than 'Auto-detect'- suggest trying PCM-stereo or DD and then see if you get sound through the receiver when selecting DTV/CBL or CD input source (depending upon which optical input jack on the receiver you have connected the digital audio cable to).   It should work. 
0 Kudos

(update): I plugged the optical cable into the "CD" digital input, and now can successfully get surround sound with the receiver on "CD mode"!
Thanks for the suggestion!

(Since I have no components besides the Roku TV and a apple airport express  (which operates via the MD-CD-R mode), this will probably suffice as a working setup.

Cheers,
F.
0 Kudos
lancego
Channel Surfer

I am having difficulty with my setup.  I have a model 5112X TCL Roku TV that I’m trying to get to communicate properly with a Sony AV receiver model STR-DH550.  It used to work with ARC perfectly well but over time with increasing frequency the sound at startup would stay on only momentarily.  It became necessary to cycle the receiver power and it would then work as in the past.  I did a chat session with a TCL representative and he had me do a factory reset of the TV.  It took ages to go through the entire setup procedure all over again.  I had to also do a reset of the receiver settings because it didn’t work at all after the TV setup.  Now it is back to where it was before contacting TCL.  After the receiver boots up the sound momentarily starts but it drops out after a second or so.  Sure would like this to work like it did a year ago.
0 Kudos
gadrago
Channel Surfer

@lancego: You could try 'Search for CEC devices', or disable then re-enable ARC within the TV's Settings menu.  Sometimes either of these will 'wake up' the receiver to picking up the TV's sound, without the necessity for power cycling of the TV and/or the receiver.
0 Kudos
lancego
Channel Surfer

Been there and done all of that numerous times.  The last four times I’ve turned on the TV it has acted properly - but it’s done it before so all I can do now is keep my fingers crossed that it will continue.  Thanks for your reply.
0 Kudos
dlovegrove
Visitor

apodtele:
 I too cannot get sound from receiver. 
Yamaha HTR-6230 surround sound receiver (quite old- 6 years?) It has HDMI ports and digital optical input ports.
LG flat screen HD with 2 HDMI ports. I just got a roku stick with HDMI and/or USB connection.
Does your method work with a Roku stick? And when you refer to Home/Settings/ etc are you referring to the Roku stick home/settings/etc?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
gadrago
Channel Surfer

@dlovegrove: Your HTR-6230 receiver from the manual page 11 (page 15 in the pdf) predates sending audio through any of its HDMI inputs and output through the receiver's connected speakers.  According to this manual, if you want to hear sound from your TV through the receiver's speakers (OR if you want to hear sound from a Roku stick connected to a HDMI port on the TV), you need to connect an analog audio (red/white RCA cables) or a digital audio cable (optical or coaxial) from your TV to one of the corresponding inputs on your receiver.  Also, if you want to hear sound from a blu-ray player or cable box connected to the HDMI1 or HDMI2 inputs on the receiver through the receiver's speakers, you also need to make an analog audio or digital audio connection from the device to the receiver to hear the source's audio through the speakers connected to the receiver.

The only way you will hear sound from a Roku stick through the receiver's speakers is to connect the stick to one of the HDMI ports on the TV, and then connect an analog or digital (optical or coaxial) cable from the TV to one of the analog or digital inputs on your receiver according to the above, and select that receiver input as the sound source.  And depending on your TV's capabilities, you may only get 2-channel PCM stereo output to the receiver.

The USB connection to the stick is to supply input power only to the stick, not for video or audio output.
dlovegrove
Visitor

Hi gadrago,
 Thanks for your reply. Still no luck though.
Roku stick in TV HDMI 1,
Red/white analog cables from TV audio to Yamaha receiver audio 'DTV/Cable'(TV does not have optical/digital input; I wonder if a newer TV with it would work because my optical/digital cable DOES work with the cable box I currently have),
DTV/Cable input is selected on receiver.
0 Kudos
gadrago
Channel Surfer

@dlovegrove: It may be that your TV does not pass analog audio out from the Roku connected to one of the TV's HDMI inputs.  Have you tried one of the other analog inputs on your receiver (DVD, CD) and selecting that as the input source? Otherwise, certainly replacing either the television or the receiver with a newer model would sort your problem.
0 Kudos
dlovegrove
Visitor

I will try the other inputs first. And a new TV wouldn't be so expensive; I really like my Yamaha receiver! Thanks.
0 Kudos