Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gadrago
Channel Surfer

Re: How to connect a Roku TV to a receiver using HDMI cable

Really need the model number of your Sharp Roku TV for further investigation.  All I can think of without this, is that CEC is a prerequisite for ARC to work.  So if your receiver is not detected in a CEC scan, ARC may not really be enabled on both ends.
0 Kudos
marderay
Visitor

I was frustrated by the same issues when trying to connect my Series 6 (65R615) TCL Roku TV to a Yamaha RX-V483 AV Receiver. None of the written directions helped. HOWEVER... after several frustrating attempts at stringing bundles of assorted cables between the units, I discovered a solution that allows for full functionality with only one ARC HDMI cable running to the TV from the receiver. There is an unheralded setting on the TV that is accessed like this: HOME/SETTINGS/SYSTEM/CONTROL OTHER DEVICES (CEC)/SEARCH FOR CEC DEVICES . 
Check the boxes for both ARC and System Audio Control to activate. 
Once they are activated, everything works as it should through the receiver. 
Why this even has to be done is as big a mystery as why it is not mentioned in any of the instructions supplied. But it works!

This worked for us!  I have the Yamaha RX-A780.  Thank you for posting this fix!!  You ended hours of frustrations.
0 Kudos
StephenHoll
Visitor

I have a Roku Sharp TV and a Yamaha soundbar with the same issue and figured it out.

First Stage:
1st Go into your "Settings" from your Roku's device Main Menu. 2nd Go into "System". 3rd Go to "Control Other Devices (CEC)". 4th Check "ARC (HDMI 1) and System Audio control". This is the advice that a few other people have been given however with a Yamaha sound bar there is one extra step that everybody's been missing.

Second Stage:
1st Go to "Settings" from Roku main menu. 2nd Go to "TV Inputs". 3rd Go to "HDMI 1 (ARC)" and add this to your Roku Channel menu.

Third Stage:
1st From your Roku Channel menu select "HDMI 1 (ARC)" 2nd From your "Yamaha Remote" hit "Setup". 3rd Go to "HDMI". 4th Go to "HDMI Audio Out". 5th Go to "TV". 6th Go to "HDMI Control". 7th Click "On". 8th Hit the "Home Botton" on your Roku remote.

This should solve the problem. I hope this helps.
0 Kudos
MFS
Visitor

I have a TCL55r617 that I want to pair with my Yamaha RX-V685. I have a HDMI cable connected to the HDMI arc port on the tv and to the hdmi out port on the receiver. I have read through the forum on this subject and I think I have done all of the steps that were listed. Still no sound through the receiver. Can someone list all of the steps in one reply so I can confirm I am doing them all. I disabled the tv speakers also.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

"MFS" wrote:
I have a TCL55r617 that I want to pair with my Yamaha RX-V685. I have a HDMI cable connected to the HDMI arc port on the tv and to the hdmi out port on the receiver. I have read through the forum on this subject and I think I have done all of the steps that were listed. Still no sound through the receiver. Can someone list all of the steps in one reply so I can confirm I am doing them all. I disabled the tv speakers also.

I've connected Roku players and a couple if TVs (not Roku TVs) to several model Yamaha AVRs, and never had an issue. Looking at the menu on my Sharp Roku TV, HDMI 1 is labeled ARC, so make sure that's the jack the HDMI cable from the AVR uses. The only other potential menu option on the Roku TV is under Audio. Turn the TV speakers off, and S/PDIF and ARC should likely be on auto. On my Yamaha, I don't remember having to alter the TV audio input to ARC, but do ensure that ARC is enabled on the Yamaha menu. It looks like page 114 of the manual shows how to ensure it's set correctly. I'm pretty sure HDMI Control has to be enabled as well. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
MFS
Visitor

I looked on the receiver hdmi connection and realized the cable was not in the arc port. Problem fixed. Thanks.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

"MFS" wrote:
I looked on the receiver hdmi connection and realized the cable was not in the arc port. Problem fixed. Thanks.

That would do it.  😄 Glad you found the issue. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos

I am also having a problem connecting my Yamaha RX-V365 to my TCL Roku TV (hopefully ok to post on this existing thread rather than creating a new post).

My problem seems to be even more basic --- getting the TV to even recognize the existence of the receiver.

Currently I have connected an HDMI cable (an Amazon basic HDMI cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014I8T8FC) from the "out" HDMI on the Yamaha receiver to the HDMI 3 IN (ARC) port on the TCL Roku TV (apologies, I don't have the model number, but my wife bought it in 2015, the receipt says TCL 482222 1080P Roku LED HDTV 48FS3700, but in settings it says TCL Roku TV 5112X).

From searching online, I see that a "basic" step is to enable ARC on my Yamaha Receiver. However, I don't see any way to do this. I should note that the Yamaha receiver is not new and there seem to be different manuals online. The version of my yamaha receiver seems to correspond to the following manual:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/o ... V365_U.pdf

rather than the current one:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/o ... _En_A0.pdf

(the latter has instructions for turning on ARC, the former makes no mention of ARC).

Any help most appreciated.

Cheers,
F.
0 Kudos
gadrago
Channel Surfer

@Not_very_fast: If the first pdf manual is the one for your RX-V365 receiver, from the manual page 11 (page 15 in the pdf), that receiver predates sending audio through any of its HDMI inputs and output through the receiver's connected speakers.  So there is no ARC capability.  According to this manual, if you want to hear sound from your TV through the receiver's speakers, you need to connect an analog audio (red/white RCA cables) or a digital audio cable (optical or coaxial) from your TV to one of the corresponding inputs on your receiver.  Also, if you want to hear sound from a blu-ray player or cable box connected to the HDMI1 or HDMI2 inputs on the receiver through the receiver's speakers, you also need to make an analog audio or digital audio connection from the device to the receiver to hear the source's audio through the speakers connected to the receiver. 
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update, I was suspecting as much.  I went and purchased a digital optical cable, which I have now connected from the SPDIF port on my Roku TV to the DTV/CBL optical digital input on my Yamaha receiver. However, I can't seem to get the ROKU TV to recognize anything. When I go to audio settings, it says "TV must be connected to receiver via S/PDIF or HDMI/ARC" but (even though is is connected via S/PDIF), "auto-detect" finds nothing.  I'm not sure that "search for CEC devices" is relevant if that only searches for HDMI, but that finds nothing either.
0 Kudos