Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to Watch DVDs

I hooked up a magnavox DVD Player using the composite cable to my TCL Roku TV.

I can't find how to switch the TV to the DVD input.

The choices displayed are: Antenna and Computer, no DVD input.

The magnavox DVD Player worked fine on my larger TCL Roku TV 

I have an USB device hooked up and that is working fine. 

Any thoughts?

[Topic relocated to appropriate location]

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: How to Watch DVDs

Go into settings, scroll to TV INPUTS, go to inputs not in use, pick AV, click SETUP INPUT, rename if want

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Then what? When I hit ok nothing happens. I tried every button on the remote but get no change.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

You're not the OP, so we know nothing about your setup, do you have Roku tv? Are you connecting a dvd player using RCA cables instead of hdmi? 

If you turned on the av input, it will be a tile on the home page of a Roku tv, if you have non-tv roku like a express, premiere, or roku stick there is no inputs to turn on. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I added my question to this thread without additional details because my issue, and my setup, are identical to that described by the OP: TCL Roku TV, DVD player connected with RCA cables not HDMI.  This is for my 90-year old dad: primarily for antenna-TV, but would like to watch DVDs, too.
Did all that was mentioned in the first reply to OP: in TV inputs - select AV; it allows renaming, nothing additional that would constitute settings; that icon does NOT show up in the main menu after renaming. 
An additional, related question (assuming that we can ever get the DVD player to communicate): in the process of scanning for channels, do we need to use channels 3,4 for DVD player, or will he simply be able to select the proper input icon (again, assuming we ever get that to work)?
Thanks for any help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Yes, it's a Roku tv. I don't know if it's RCA cables, the are the colored plugs (white, yellow, red..I think) that fit into the matching holes on the back of the tv.

I see where it would change the tile on the screen but once I get to the naming/choosing the tile there are no options as to what to do next. I'm on the tile I click ok and nothing happens. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

If the tile is present and clicking on it does nothing, then it might be how the cable is attached to the tv. Some Roku tv's only have a mini-jack marked AV, thats where you plug in what is called a breakout cable, it has 3/4 phono plug on one end and composite(RCA) jacks on the other. To accept rca to rca cable. Other roku tv's have rca inputs on the tv itself where you just plug a rca to rca cable in. Also make sure the yellow(video) is plugged into the yellow jack. The red and white are audio and won't handle video. 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

In my case, the tile does NOT show up in main menu after connecting and making change to TV inputs, so there is NO way to "click on it." 
Yes, I correctly attached the RCA cable to DVD player and to TV (red-to-red, white-white, yellow-yellow, just to be clear).

The Roku TV does NOT recognize the DVD player, even while the DVD player is on, with DVD inserted, and playing (according to indicators on the player). 

Again, the AV input does NOT show up as a tile option in the Home menu - no matter what choice I make in renaming it. Have tried putting the TV on channel 3 and on channel 4 (because, during channel scanning process, it prompts "do you need... for DVD player") - no signal.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Even after you installed it and renamed it, and gone to the home to find it wasn't there, going back into the settings under tv input, is the av input listed as being used, or not used? 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

When I'm at the renaming part, after I rename it there is no "enter" or ok or anything to move it to the next option or screen, my only option is to back out of it. I tried hitting the the side arrows at the same time or holding the ok button for several seconds, I tried the  *  button, anything that would mean "I choose this".

So when I back out of it the tile goes back to being what it was in the first place.