Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stosh
Level 7

Re: Roku Live TV being forced into antenna channels since guide update.

Jump to solution

Those of us who require broadcast tv via antenna, and/or do not have high speed broadband (>20Mb) are complaining because they added the streaming list to the antenna list, which slows everything down for us ... loading the list, browsing the list, etc. With my slow connection, I can't even watch any of the streaming; why would I want to see it contstantly? Even the initial load has gone from immediate to minutes.

They should have kept them separate, or better yet, offered the option to view the streaming channels in this fashion or leave them off. Simple and common sense that would have pleased everyone, but instead, they've alienated a large number of Roku customers that are now likely to never be Roku customers ever again.

Sharjeep
Level 8

Re: How do I remove the Roku streaming channels from the "Live TV" channel guide?

Jump to solution

@steveg3 wrote:

So, looks like the answer is a giant "you can't". Seems whoever came up with this never used the antenna TV (OTA) feature. Or they could care less.

Exactly my thoughts.  This was the idea of some idiot who doesn't know what an antenna is or how it works.

The one thing I liked about the TCL RokuTV was that the tuner was actually good; picked up a ton of channels off my attic antenna.  But now it is useless...why even HAVE a tuner if you are going to turn it into a streaming channel?  Makes no sense at all.

Back to the external tuner...sigh.

All my TVs normally come up under Roku, and I choose to watch OTA TV.  Apparently this is no longer possible.

By this weekend, when my TVs turn on, they will default to coming up under native OTA. Roku will just be another of the many input options.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@stosh wrote:

Those of us who require broadcast tv via antenna, and/or do not have high speed broadband (>20Mb) are complaining because they added the streaming list to the antenna list, which slows everything down for us ... loading the list, browsing the list, etc. With my slow connection, I can't even watch any of the streaming; why would I want to see it contstantly? Even the initial load has gone from immediate to minutes.

They should have kept them separate, or better yet, offered the option to view the streaming channels in this fashion or leave them off. Simple and common sense that would have pleased everyone, but instead, they've alienated a large number of Roku customers that are now likely to never be Roku customers ever again.

Yeah, not the first time they've done something that annoyed a lot of users. Your complaint is valid, and I agree. All we can hope for is that @RokuDanny-R take this information back to the programmers and they rethink this a little more. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Sharjeep
Level 8

Re: Allow us to edit the channel list for both OTA and LiveTV

Jump to solution

@DodgerKing wrote:

[snip]

2) Allow us to edit the Live TV channels channels along with the OTA channels in the input settings like we already do with the OTA channels.

No.   Just...no.

I'm NOT going to go though 100 channels and mark favorites etc.  And then have to go through the SAME tedious exercise every time you re-scan your antenna channels.  Ain't happening.

There is no reason that the LiveTV chaannel can't be separate from local native antenna input.

Barkley
Level 7

Jump to solution

How did you resolve this issue that took you over an hour. Details please

@etrobertson wrote:

I finally figured out how to get around this....it took almost an hour. I had to scroll to the left then select ALL CHANNELS and then go to channel 3 which is where I can access my cable box. It was so frustrating.

0 Kudos
Arcus80
Level 8

Jump to solution

In response to the person saying they can't believe people are complaining:  Adding access isn't the problem.  FORCING access while ruining content I already had is a serious problem.  You might say if I don't like it then don't watch it.  Well, that's what I'm trying to do, but Roku has other really dumb plans.

Sharjeep
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Arcus80 wrote:

Adding access isn't the problem.  FORCING access while ruining content I already had is a serious problem.  You might say if I don't like it then don't watch it.  Well, that's what I'm trying to do, but Roku has other really dumb plans.

Yeah, Roku has become Comcast.

As I said in another thread, I don't care about them adding content as a separate channel.  And in all likelihood, I would probably go though it at my leisure and see if anything is to my liking.  But to force it into my native OTA listings is unacceptable.

Folks in other threads are reporting problems with their antenna channels when their net goes now.  Haven't checked that out myself yet.

The internal tuner in the RokuTV has been rendered useless; it is now just another streaming channel.  I've probably got a half-dozen DTA converters laying around this house, lol.  Some have decent tuners and piping one to Ch3 (or RCA inputs) on the RokuTV will make that television usable again. 

Whole thing is just a shame.  A **bleep** shame.

GetFireTVNotRok
Level 7

Re: How do I remove the Roku streaming channels from the "Live TV" channel guide?

Jump to solution

Agree. I went though all the comments and none of the suggestions worked for me. I also saw some comments about how good the TCL TV was before the update. I can say that for me it was an absolute trash from day one. Fortunately it cost me nothing as I got it as a gift. I have come close multiple times to just smashing the TV by throwing its useless remote right through its screen. Today was one of those days again. Even before this the TV was SO SLOW and unresponsive that I ended up connecting my Roku ultra to it to be able to navigate Netflix and other apps because most apps on the TCL TV are useless. You push a button and nothing happens, you push it again and nothing, and you push it a third time and then all of the sudden it jumps 3 positions. The picture quality is descent enough, but absolutely EVERYTHING else about this TV is total garbage and now that includes their idiotic channel guide.

This clearly demonstrates the level of peer review and release controls they have in place pushing out updates or more precisely the lack there of. I mean who was the genius who thought adding a few dozen channels that people might not want to a guide that you have to scroll through one at a time to change channel was a good idea. When you find that person give them a tooth brush and have them clean the restroom. They may be a little under qualified as a janitor, but with a little luck should be able to finish it.

Bottom line I will never, ever get another Roku TV, not even for free and will NOT accept it as a gift either and will most likely switch to other streaming devices like Fire TV when mine fail. I hope I make it to black Friday before I smash this piece of garbage TV.

killer_flea
Level 7

Jump to solution

Sharp ROKU TV user here.

I do not like and will not use the new live streaming channels. Please allow them to be removed from the guide.

Along with this the following viewing options no longer work on my SHARP tv:

TV Brightness

Picture Size

Picture Mode

It amazes me that someone thought this was a good idea without sufficient testing and feedback.

As others have mentioned, I won't be buying ROKU anything in the future.

My solution in the meantime . Watch less tv. Use an online guide to schedule things I do want to watch with my TABLO.

SDP
Level 7

TCL Roku TV - How To Remove Streaming Channels From Guide

Jump to solution

How do I remove the Roku streaming channels from the "Live TV" channel guide? I have no desire to scroll through all those channels, the vast majority I have absolutely no interest in. Those channels I may be interested in I know where to find them. I just want my OTA channels displayed.