Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wentzelitis
Streaming Star

Re: Horizontal Lines/Bars of Pixels Stuck On Streaming Apps

Jump to solution

@Jennerstein wrote:

It's possible that my issue is unrelated, but for me game mode is part of the reason.  I also wonder if the resolution type is also related.  I read a post where somewhere else was having horizontal issues with his Wii, I'm having issues with the SNES Classic, someone else mentioned what he thought was an issue with PS3.  People aren't reporting issues with PS4 or Xbox One.  So just spitballing here, but is it related to 720p or lower (since that what the SNES Classic and Wii and PS3 would be outputting to)

We don't know the streaming resolution that people with the streaming app issue are using. Maybe Roku has a bug related to game mode and/or 720p?

I have not see any issues with my TLC 65" R613's streaming apps in Netflix or Disney Plus or YouTube TV but I'm streaming at 4K or 1080p.

interesting idea but it happens to me on hulu which afaik should be streaming at 1080 since my internet is more than capable. i guess it's possible at times it goes down to 720 for some reason which causes it to glitch out?  also on youtube i always have it set at 1080 / max  but i'm sure some videos aren't high resolution enough or something can cause it to stream lower at times?  afaik i have everything set to 1080 though whenever possible.  

also i've noticed whenever it happens on hulu it always seems to be after an ad ends and the show resumes... and on youtube same thing..either when starting up a show or after an ad . it never just randomly appears during a show that's already in progress. 

0 Kudos
Vader327
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution
@wentzelitis wrote:
...it always seems to be after an ad ends and the show resumes... and on youtube same thing..either when starting up a show or after an ad . it never just randomly appears during a show that's already in progress. 

Related to ads was one thing I thought I noticed but it wasn't 100% for me.  My contribution I leave to others to evaluate as I'm not using much of my TV's capabilities.  FYI-
SYSTEM INFO
Roku TV7121X
TCL model 65R617
Software version 9.3.0 * build 4182-30  Last checked: Jun 26 8:11 am

Bought March 2019.   Connected to Xfinity box via coax cable. Did not connect to Internet. I use Mac OS X Sharing instead of a wifi router. TV found Mac Sharing but would not accept password nor connect TV to Internet.

Last week I connected TV to Internet via Xfinitywifi. Software auto updated and Roku account made.

Horizontal bar problem began immediately. Mine is several lines high, fully crosses the screen and is 1/4 of the screen up from the bottom of the screen. Did not have it before connecting to Internet. Disconnected from Internet to see if that was the problem. Bar persised.  Have not reconnected to Internet…so no streaming.  

My bar is intermittent like others……but ONLY happens with Picture size “Zoom” (Options > Picture Size > Zoom).

Bar seems to arrive with advertising breaks in programming but not always.  Bar content sometimes looks like bleed through from program “info” and clock or a crawl and logo from an earlier screen or time.

System restart clears bar but not for long.....hour or two max.  Hard restart clears but does not last either. Tried one power drain which removed it but immediate return.  

Just did full factory restart.  Hoped to go back to original software that TV came with.  Also wanted to delete all prior Internet connection info…..even though I tried to disable before factory reset.

Software is still the updated 9.3.0 build 4182-30.  It did delete all internet info after I left "connect for later."

It's been an hour and so far so good.  I wonder if deleting all streaming downloads even w/o Internet helped.  But I'm getting some pixelation - not the bar - perhaps related to thunderstorms.

Update -- Band is back -- just 2 hours 40 min...but it self cleared.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have the tcl roku 43 inch" something something. I just noticed the horuzontal line thingy happwning to my tv (about 5 months old). I've been trying a few things for the past few hours and havent comw up with much. Only thing ive found is changing the picture size will refresh the pixels, but theyll refreeze immediately after.

0 Kudos
Vegeta
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

reset factory reset or reset the power setting

0 Kudos
Vader327
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@Vegeta wrote:

reset factory reset or reset the power setting

Hi back to you @Vegeta.  Thanks for the reply but I have done both.  Sorry for not being more clear on that.  Per other posts in this thread
1)  I did a " System restart" via Settings>System>Power>System restart. 
2) I did the drain down as described, disconnecting my cable box from the TV, pulling the power plug from the wall socket, and holding the TV power on button for 15 seconds. 
3) I did a Factory reset everything via
Settings>System>Advanced system settings>Factory reset>Factory reset everything

I did several of the 1) and 2) but only 3) one time.  In all cases the bar returns but only on Picture size selected to Zoom.  Changing Picture size and returning to Zoom sometimes clears the bar.  Sometimes it takes more time.  This changing size clearing of the bar is about as successful as System restart so it has become my chosen method simply because it is as effective but takes the least time.  So for me I have limited use of the Picture size Zoom when the bar returns.  FWIW, I suspect the problem is in the Roku software because I never had it until the software updated.  I wish I could restore the original software that came with the TV because I never had this problem until the software updated.  The updated software is the only difference from how my TV was for the past year......during which I never had this problem.  

0 Kudos
snl07
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Is Roku not doing anything about this? This has been going on for quite a  while with no fix

0 Kudos
Vader327
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@snl07 wrote:

Is Roku not doing anything about this? This has been going on for quite a  while with no fix

All I've heard is this thread.  Nothing I've done has fixed the problem.  My hope is that some of the other posters who sound like they know and have contacts with Roku will get a response and cause Roku to fix the problem.  Sorry that's all I have.

0 Kudos
MightyHandy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I am in the same boat.  Affects streaming apps.  Not HDMI devices.  Not static screens.
•Horizontal bar pops up when streaming.  In 5 series 55”.  
•TV is only a couple of months old.  Is everyone’s tv from March or newer?  That would make me think it’s a hardware manufacturing issue.  The reddit thread suggested maybe bad memory on the onboard video decoder.  It’s possible these components are shared across manufacturers too.  Be interested to know if any older tv’s exhibit the issue.  
•Also, this started right after I canceled YouTubeTV and switched to Hulu, Disney, espn and Sling.  Listing apps below too.

TV Configuration:
Picture Mode: Auto
Apps: Sling, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, Plex
TV Model: TCL 50S525
Purchased: 6/2/2020

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
hwieler
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I submitted a support ticket and they were very responsive in getting all info they needed.  If you have the issue submit a ticket.  That way the more support tickets the higher priority it becomes to fix it.

Vader327
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@hwieler wrote:

I submitted a support ticket and they were very responsive in getting all info they needed.  If you have the issue submit a ticket.  That way the more support tickets the higher priority it becomes to fix it.

Thanks for the advice.  Submitted a question thru http://tclusa.helpjuice.com/contact-us?contact_query=Please%20enter%20your%20question.  Will call them if I don't get a response.

UPDATE - July 16, 2020.  Got a reply requesting more info.  Some were questions that had answers in my original message.  But I figured they are following their format so I answered again.  We'll see as some of the questions clearly assumed I had setup using TV capabilities I'm just not using.  Hoping my vastly simple setup [no Internet connection, no streaming, no app -- just a TV connected to a cable set top box by a coax cable] will let someone focus on where the problem is.

0 Kudos