Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leegato
Streaming Star

Horizontal Lines/Bars of Pixels Stuck On Streaming Apps

Jump to solution

I just purchased a TCL Roku 50" 55S525 and have noticed an issue that only occurs whenever I'm watching something through their streaming apps, like Netflix and YouTube.

Occasionally, when I am watching a program on Netflix, a line of pixels will be "stuck" on a previous frame/picture of whatever I'm watching and will create a visible horizontal line.  It's like the line of pixels have failed to change to the next picture and it's perpetually stuck in an earlier picture.  When I exit the program I'm watching and return to the Netflix menu, the line adjusts/disappears.  This does not occur every time I use Netflix/watch something on Netflix, and I've seen this also occur on the YouTube app for Roku.  I'm guessing this issue will also occur on other streaming apps for the Roku.

I do not see these lines when I am using my PS4 connected via HDMI.

I contacted customer support, who suggested a a factory reset, and that seemed to do the trick for a week.  The issue recently occurred so I issued another factory reset, but now it feels like only a matter of time before the issue recurs.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?

4/20/20 No updates yet, just wanted to add a photo of the issue that I posted in the comments.

5/7/20: I heard Roku TVs have updated their software to 9.3, will report back if I experience the issue under this software update.  Please comment below if you continue to experience the issue under 9.3.

11/23/20: I discovered today that my TV has updated their Roku software to 9.4.0, an update that I've been told should address and fix the issue, which could mean I've had it for some time since I hadn't checked in a while.  So far, no lines on streaming apps as of late.  Comment below if you continue to experience the issue under 9.4.0.

Picture of the bar while watching Netflix. The bar is stuck on the Netflix logo opening shot for this episode of Tiger King, hence the bright neon colors.Picture of the bar while watching Netflix. The bar is stuck on the Netflix logo opening shot for this episode of Tiger King, hence the bright neon colors.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Horizontal Lines/Bars of Pixels Stuck On Streaming Apps

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts and information that you have provided.

We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding what you are experiencing. Please be aware that we have identified the issue and expect a fix in a future update.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts and information that you have provided.

We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding what you are experiencing. Please be aware that we have identified the issue and expect a fix in a future update.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts.

We appreciate your patience and understanding regarding what you are experiencing. As stated previously, we have identified the issue and expect a fix in a future update. That is all the information that I can provide at this time.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
418 REPLIES 418
Egan7791

Weird bar across screen

Jump to solution

Hey, when watching YouTube and or Netflix I get a weird bar (different colors like if it is stuck from the last frame) that goes all the way across my tv at the top. It only happens when I am watching something, it only started to happen recently and my tv is still pretty new like 4 months max. If anyone has any idea on what is happening or how to fix it please let me know. Thanks 

NeoZiggy
Reel Rookie

Line on Streamed channels

Jump to solution

When I stream Pluto TV, Hulu, or YouTube there will be a random line that appears at the top. It's not dead pixels but looks like some kind of software rendering issue. This does not happen on antenna tv or the Roku TV menu. Seems to happen only when starting streaming content.

If I exit and restart it goes away sometimes but if the app (channel) goes to black or commerical it will appear again. It's not always the same colors either.

I have that popular 50in TCL Roku TV sold everywhere and online. Model 50s425 (TCL)/ C105X (Roku app).

NeoZiggy
Reel Rookie

Re: Line on Streamed channels

Jump to solution

I restarted Pluto TV to share a screenshot but now the line is gone. 

0 Kudos
DaddyS
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I just had this happen TV is less than a month old. I have an older 5 series with zero issues. Heavy use for years and that’s why I bought another one.... but it seams to be a software issue at least

DarylM
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I bought the Hisense Roku TV 43” yesterday and I’m having the same issue. When I play shows on Now Tv or Netflix I’m getting a horizontal line across the top. This doesn’t happen when I use these apps through my ps4. 

I might just take the TV back next week and get a Samsung tv instead. 

DaddyS
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It seems to be a Roku TV issue. It doesn’t happen when I use the Xbox Apps. It also doesn’t happen when I use a Roku Express.

leegato
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yeah, within the Netflix app the bar disappears once I exit the program and am scrolling through the Netflix menu/options, so I don't even have to fully exit the app.  I've seen this occur with YouTube as well.  It seems like a strange playback issue with streaming, so I'm guessing it's a software issue with Roku.  I've contacted customer support again to follow-up on it, hopefully I can get some answers.  I got this TV through Amazon and do not want to deal with the hassle of returning it.

leegato
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

I've also found a reddit thread that also details this issue. https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/fk38xw/line_of_stuck_pixels_on_streaming_channels/

DarylM
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’ve been using my tv so a few hours and then turned it off and let it go cold to see if it was a problem just when it turned on but it hasn’t come back since about the time I originally posted? Pretty strange. I’ll see what happens over the next few hours/days. 

0 Kudos