Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdfiasco
Channel Surfer

Re: Horizontal Lines/Bars of Pixels Stuck On Streaming Apps

Jump to solution

Just throwing out before I unsubscribe from this thread that the issue has not occurred for me for several months now. Assuming the 9.4.0 update was the fix. Took way too long to address, but thanks, Roku. 

0 Kudos
wentzelitis
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

same here. haven't had this issue in months.  the issue was handled poorly, communicated poorly, and even the update itself was confusing and rolled out in a strange manner.. but at least the issue was fixed which i appreciate.

0 Kudos
Marcano
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Black lines in the background on the main menu. 

0 Kudos
ScOULaris
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

So after the 10.0.0 Roku OS update it seems that the old toggling Game Mode off and back on again fixes the lines/tearing at the top of the screen when playing 720p/480p content via HDMI input. It took forever, but at least we have a workaround for this issue again. Pretty ridiculous that it took this long and still requires a hacky workaround, but at this point I'll take it.

0 Kudos
Marcano
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks! Mine is solved! I tried turning off and on and didn’t work.
my solution worked unplugging the TV from the outlet while it was turned ON. Then plugged, turned ON and that’s it. It worked! 3 weeks working fine

0 Kudos
sperkie

Jump to solution

I am having a similar issue.  This only started when I connected my new Roku Wireless Speakers to my Roku Philips tv.  There is a horizontal line mid screen which splits the image and the bottom half drags a bit as the picture changes. This only happens while watching cable with Suddenlink TiVo box.  Does not happen watching any streaming service. Have tried resetting, restarting, which does nothing, When I disconnect the wireless speakers there are no issues.  Now reading through this thread I tried to put the tv on 'game mode' and the issues resolved itself.  Turning off game mode brings the horizontal line back. 

Roku Tv 8644X

Philips Model 32PFL4664/F7A

Software Version 10.0.0*Build 4213-63

0 Kudos
ScOULaris
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I am VERY sad to report that toggling Game Mode off/on no longer acts as a workaround for this issue with sub-1080p HDMI sources. It went back to working in 10.0, and now on 10.5 it no longer fixes the tearing.

Here's the scenario on my TCL 2018 6-series:

• Play anything in 720p or 480p over HDMI (e.g. Playstation 3, Wii U, Wii, etc.)
  • If Game Mode is enabled, there will be a line running across the top of the screen in which the pixels refresh out of sync from the rest of the screen, causing a tearing artifact
  • In Roku OS 10.0 (and in versions prior to 9.3) you could temporarily correct this issue by toggling Game Mode off, waiting a few seconds, and then turning it back on. Then you could have game mode enabled and benefit from the input lag reduction without the screen tearing along the top.
  • After the Roku OS 10.5 update this workaround no longer corrects the issue. The tearing remains even after turning Game Mode off and back on again.

If anyone at Roku is listening, PLEASE PLEASE do something about this. I'm begging you. It makes playing dozens of games that I own basically impossible on this TV, and it's clear that it's a software issue since the behavior changes between updates.

MightyHandy
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

One thing worth trying is to go into input settings on Roku and change the hdmi type to ‘compatibility’.  “Tearing” usually comes from incompatible refresh rates… switching on vsync in your games would address it.  I don’t think Roku TVs support high refresh rates.  But what you described doesn’t sound like ‘tearing’.

0 Kudos
canisio

Jump to solution

Mine is showing a similar behavior after July 2021 update. 

There are horizontal lines from the middle of the screen that look like are being replicated on the top of the screen. I can realize this when starting apps like YouTube. I.E: The red logo on the middle makes additional red lines appear at the top of the TV, outside of the logo projection. 

Also, after the last update (Nov 2021), the number of lines has increased and there’s also a periodic flickering/glitching on most of the screen. This happens on every screen, app or mode. 

This TV was bought about 2y ago and was never dropped or anything. What really disappoints me is that the problems were caused by automatic software updates.

Roku TV: 7202X

Sharp model: LC-50LBU591U

Software Version: 10.5.0 - build 4201-38

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Sassyinny

Jump to solution

ok think the future is here same issue on my 4k roku express works on my samsung tv not the sony tv.   is there settings that need to be changed in order to get a good picture?  I have swaped hdmi cables, reset the tv, all SW updates are up to date, still same issue. What would cause this interference? 

thanks Gina 

0 Kudos