Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AaronDobbe
Reel Rookie

Re: Horizontal Lines/Bars of Pixels Stuck On Streaming Apps

Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm currently seeing this same issue on my TCL Roku TV (a few horizontal lines of pixels near the top of the screen seem to be updating a frame later than the rest of the display) but not with streaming channels; I'm seeing it with HDMI devices (particularly game consoles) - I suspect but haven't 100% confirmed that it only happens with 720p signals.

This only occurs with Game Mode on, but of course if I'm playing games I need that setting. I'm on the latest software update. Any idea what's causing this and if I can fix it?

0 Kudos
ScOULaris
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yep. That issue with Game Mode for 720p and 480p has been present on my TCL Roku TV's (2018 6 Series) since forever. No updates have ever fixed it. I've seen others mention it over the years, so I'm pretty sure it's a universal issue.

This thread gave me some hope that it might finally be addressed, but I'm still unsure as to whether or not that will actually happen. It's a huge flaw for anyone who plays retro games.

0 Kudos
AaronDobbe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Okay, so I've actually found a very, very silly workaround for this. I don't know why this helps but it's been consistent for me every time I've tried it.

What I do is, if I'm seeing the Game Mode tearing issue, I start casting to the TV from my smartphone (with my Samsung Galaxy phone, this is called "Smart View"). Once the cast from my phone starts, I stop the cast right away, which takes me back to the TV's home menu. Then, when I open the game console "channel" again... the issue is gone. Until the TV turns off, anyway.

So yeah, still unacceptable behavior from the TV software, but at least there's a workaround. Maybe this helps diagnose the bug?

0 Kudos
Pentagrl

Jump to solution

Ours was working fine a few hours ago and now is ALL vertical bars on playback. Menus are fine, it’s in multiple apps(Disney+, PBS kids, Hulu). We’ve power cycled and reset to factory audio/video but not full reset yet. any hope it’ll work after being unplugged for several hours?

0 Kudos
JSulzner

Jump to solution

Hi Danny. Since the last post was of November  and it is now December 26, 2020, has Roku figured out the problem because we to have a horizontal line about 3 inches from the bottom of the screen??

-jennifer 

0 Kudos

Roku Hisense T.V. intermittent horizontal white line at the bottom of the screen

Jump to solution

I have a Hisense Roku T.V. Model 60R6E.

This morning when my wife went to watch some T.V. we now have an intermittent horizontal white line at the very bottom of the screen that lasts for a couple seconds the disappears for a few seconds then repeats. When this happens the screen gets slightly blurry. This happens on every screen (home screen, streaming channel, DVD, etc.) but has never happened before today.

I have tried turning the T.V. off for a while, turning it off and unplugging it, performing a factory reset, all to no avail.

Needless to say this is very frustrating. Hopefully someone can help.

Thanx, Darrell

0 Kudos
ScOULaris
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku Hisense T.V. intermittent horizontal white line at the bottom of the screen

Jump to solution

Has there been any acknowledgment at all yet from Roku about the artifacting at the top of the screen when using Game Mode for 480p or 720p content? While I'm not hopeful that it'll ever be fixed at this point, I would feel much better to at least know that was a known issue on their end.

ScOULaris
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@AaronDobbe What I do is, if I'm seeing the Game Mode tearing issue, I start casting to the TV from my smartphone (with my Samsung Galaxy phone, this is called "Smart View"). Once the cast from my phone starts, I stop the cast right away, which takes me back to the TV's home menu. Then, when I open the game console "channel" again... the issue is gone. Until the TV turns off, anyway.

Oh, I wanted to pop in to say that this workaround didn't work for me on my TCL 6-series Roku TV.

Toggling Game Mode off and then back on used to fix the issue pre-Roku OS 9.3 I believe, but ever since then there's just no fix for this. It's so ridiculous.

Bella333

Jump to solution

My tv is doing this and it is fully updated. Will there be another update soon? My tv is less than a year old.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Bella333

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku TV brand and model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-screenshots showing the issue

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos