Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tsouth2
Channel Surfer

Re: Horizontal Lines/Bars of Pixels Stuck On Streaming Apps

Jump to solution

I've streamed for ~15 hours or so on 9.4 and no line has appeared yet. Really hoping its fixed!

0 Kudos
ScOULaris
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I don't believe the fix has been implemented in 9.4.0, although I never encountered the line across the top with streaming.

I can confirm that it is still present any time you try to display 720p or 480p content with Game Mode enabled in 9.4.0, so that's definitely not fixed yet.

0 Kudos
gabico147
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@ScOULaris wrote:

I don't believe the fix has been implemented in 9.4.0, although I never encountered the line across the top with streaming.

I can confirm that it is still present any time you try to display 720p or 480p content with Game Mode enabled in 9.4.0, so that's definitely not fixed yet.

Which build have you installed? There are multiple builds for 9.4.0 that got pushed so make sure you have the latest one.

And are we talking about streaming from Roku apps or HDMI?

0 Kudos
ScOULaris
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm on the very latest build. I've received two 9.4.x updates and have applied them both.

The artifacting line at the top of the display has always occurred for me when playing 720p or 480p content with Game Mode enabled. Prior to 9.3.0 you could kind of fix it by toggling Game Mode off and then back on again, but ever since 9.3.0 that no longer fixes it. The line is just there no matter what when viewing sub-1080p content with Game Mode enabled (e.g. playing older game consoles like Wii, PS3).

I've never personally experienced this with streaming because I always have Game Mode off for those.

I can confirm, however, that this issue with HDMI sources and Game Mode has NOT yet been addressed even in the latest 9.4.x build.

0 Kudos
gabico147
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@ScOULaris wrote:

I'm on the very latest build. I've received two 9.4.x updates and have applied them both.

The artifacting line at the top of the display has always occurred for me when playing 720p or 480p content with Game Mode enabled. Prior to 9.3.0 you could kind of fix it by toggling Game Mode off and then back on again, but ever since 9.3.0 that no longer fixes it. The line is just there no matter what when viewing sub-1080p content with Game Mode enabled (e.g. playing older game consoles like Wii, PS3).

I've never personally experienced this with streaming because I always have Game Mode off for those.

I can confirm, however, that this issue with HDMI sources and Game Mode has NOT yet been addressed even in the latest 9.4.x build.

The issue in this topic does only happen when using streaming apps within Roku OS and it’s always exactly as the picture in the very first post. The software bug does not happen when using HDMI or any other external input peripherals.

If you are experiencing similar issues with the HDMI sources, your issue is not related to this topic and is likely an hardware issue.

Also, can you post a picture of the issue?

0 Kudos
ScOULaris
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

No, it's definitely the same issue and is a software issue with Roku OS. It happens across all of my TCL Roku OS TV's. It looks exactly like the pictures posted throughout this thread.

Try it yourself. Pipe some 720p or 480p content to your Roku TV and switch on Game Mode. I can almost guarantee that you'll see the horizontal artifacting line running across the top of the screen.

It has been talked about elsewhere for over a year, but I posted in this thread because it was close enough and had actual Roku devs responding.

0 Kudos
Tsouth2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@ScOULaris wrote:

No, it's definitely the same issue and is a software issue with Roku OS. It happens across all of my TCL Roku OS TV's. It looks exactly like the pictures posted throughout this thread.

Try it yourself. Pipe some 720p or 480p content to your Roku TV and switch on Game Mode. I can almost guarantee that you'll see the horizontal artifacting line running across the top of the screen.

It has been talked about elsewhere for over a year, but I posted in this thread because it was close enough and had actual Roku devs responding.

I just tested this with game mode on and set my ps4 to 720p res. Opened hbo max and watched a show for a bit. The bar did not show up. I previously had the bar issue on streaming apps but haven’t seen it since installing 9.4.0.

I know I never had the bar when playing ps4 or switch before 9.4.0 but it was always on 1080p or higher. 

edit: My tv is a Hisense, not TCL incase that matters. 

0 Kudos
leegato
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Hi all, just an update: I discovered today I have been updated to 9.4.0, though it's possible I may have had this version for several weeks now.  So far, no issues with the line anymore, and it looks like my TV is able to do AirPlay now!  I'll keep this post updated if I see anything.

0 Kudos
noahfloah
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Appears to be fixed, I’ve streamed a few movies on Amazon, and YouTube/Pluto tv, haven’t had it so far after the latest update(s). 

0 Kudos
Tsouth2
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I can also confirm the line has not reappeared since 9.4.0 update and it's been more than a week at this point. Also, streaming HBO Max from iPhone to Roku via AirPlay works great!

0 Kudos