Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vader327
Binge Watcher

Re: Horizontal Lines/Bars of Pixels Stuck On Streaming Apps

Jump to solution

@leegato wrote:

Just an overall update, the issue hasn't reoccurred in a while for me, at least every time I stream.  I noticed that the power cycle (unplugging all inputs and power, and holding the power button for 15 seconds) seemed to best alleviate the issue, though there were some instances where the power cycle just didn't seem to do anything.  Earlier, Roku responded saying they were unable to replicate the issue, but I informed them that the issue is still occurring, and also referred them to this thread I started.  They reopened a ticket for me and said they'll look into it.  As of now, Roku still has an open ticket with me, indicating that they are investigating the issue, and it seems this thread has finally gotten Roku's attention.

I too still have an open ticket w/ TCL support.  I think it was your post earlier about referring them to this thread that prompted me to also highlight it to them.

0 Kudos
noahfloah
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

“Unable to replicate the issue”, seems unlikely, all they have to do is use one of their own branded TVs (happens on any make/ model from what I understand) and leave a built in streaming app running for a few hours. Surely one of their employees has experienced by now. 

0 Kudos
augusthenry
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just experienced this today myself. It only seems to happen when using a streaming platform (Netflix, Hulu) I checked for updates on the app's and TV and they are all up to date. Restarting the TV will temporarily solve the issue but it will return shortly.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
noahfloah
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yup happens with Pluto tv, YouTube etc as well. All the apps probably I assume.

0 Kudos
leegato
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yeah, I'm a bit confused and suspicious of them being unable to replicate the issue when it's clear this is occuring on all Roku TVs, regardless of the brand (Hisense, TCL, etc.).  I notice that oftentimes that, if the issue isn't immediately noticed, it'll come up when a new program is loading on Netflix. 

For example:

I watch Season 1 Episode 1 of Community on Netflix.  The bar issue is NOT present.

I finish Episode 1, Netflix automatically moves on to Episode 2.

The buffering/loading screen on Netflix occurs to load Episode 2.

Episode 2 starts.  Bar issue is present.  From there on, any program I try to play will have that bar issue.  So, if I try exiting out and playing Episode 4, the bar issue will be present.

Basically, the issue is irregular in pattern; sometimes, it arises the minute you start streaming a program.  Othertimes, it arises when a new program has started after the initial one.  Once the issue occurs, it seems to stay constant until you reset or turn off the TV for an extended period of time (turning off then immediately on will not solve the issue, I've noticed).

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us with the following information so we can investigate the issue further:
-What is the Roku model number for the TV (ie CXXXX)?
-Does the line show up immediately when the content is started, or does it appear midway through the show/movie?
-Does the glitch show up with any content, or specifically 4K or HDR content?
-Are any settings enabled? Is the TV at default picture quality?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
Tags (1)
wentzelitis
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us with the following information so we can investigate the issue further:
-Does the line show up immediately when the content is started, or does it appear midway through the show/movie?

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate team.

Thanks,
Danny

-TCL 43S421 , C127X , 9.3.0

-The line seems to always show up right after an ad ends and a show resumes, or right when the show first starts.. never midway through an episode for me at least. If i'm watching hulu for instance, and an ad comes on during the show, sometimes the line will appear after the ad when the show starts back up.. or when i switch to a new show...or when i first start a show in general.

-The glitch seems to show up regardless of content for me as I stream 720, 1080, and 4k content..I haven't noticed a pattern of it being one or the other but some have speculated it's possibly related to the resolution of the streaming content..or switching between them etc due to bandwidth/ads/alternating content.. but I have no evidence one way or the other..

-My TV is set to picture mode - movie , picture size - direct , color temp - warm, brightness - normal ..  i've also tested with picture size - auto with same results of line issue occurring. in expert picture settings via the app i have noise reduction turned off. 

finally just to make sure you're aware.. this issue does not happen immediately. it takes about a week of regular viewing each time for it to appear.. so if your roku team is testing, they will probably need to regularly use the tv and streaming content for any chance of the bar/issue to appear for them.

0 Kudos
Jennerstein
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Thanks,
Danny

My issue is a little different, but is also a horizontal line issue at the top.  Mine shows up on either HDMI port with a SNES Classic connected when the Game Mode setting on the setting is set to "On".  Since the SNES Classic only outputs at 720P, I've brainstormed on this forum wondering if it's related to the issue.  Other people have reported this issue with consoles that output at 720p (like a PS3).

Roku tv 7121x
TCL 65" R615
9.3.0 build 4182-30

Horizontal line up top shows up on HDMI as soon as the screen refreshes the game.
The glitch does not showing up on any of my streaming apps
Glitch occurs when SNES Classic is attached and game mode is set to "ON".  The horizontal bar at the top does not appear when game mode is set to Off.
I have a Yamaha ATS 1080 connected to HDMI port 3 (which has HDMI ARC).  Don't know if this is related.

Also HDR setting is turned to ON instead of DolbyVision (because DolbyVision doesn't seem to work right with Netflix and Disney Plus)

For other people running into the issue, do you have anything plugged into HDMI ARC? 

0 Kudos
augusthenry
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Roku model number: TCL 50S425 50 inch 4K Smart LED Roku TV (2019) - (Ordered from Amazon)

The line shows up immediately.

The glitch seemed to happen a couple of days after I turned on HDR on all my inputs, which is odd because it only seems to happen when using the Roku Apps. However, when I used my Playstation 4 Pro, I started to notice other lines that would pop up, but then go away after about 15-20 minutes.

My current TV Picture Setting is set to (Vivid) Game Mode is turned on.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@wentzelitis @augusthenry 

Thanks for the information.

I have passed it along to the appropriate team to look further into.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos