Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noahfloah
Binge Watcher

Re: Horizontal Lines/Bars of Pixels Stuck On Streaming Apps

Jump to solution

Restart the tv from the power settings menu (not factory reset). It should fix the bar of pixels, temporarily anyway

0 Kudos
Jennerstein
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I just discovered the horizontal line issue also.   TV's been fine on 9.3 with streaming Netflix and Disney Plus.  I've identified the horizontal line occurs for me on HDMI when I have game mode on for playing a game (i.e. SNES Classic).  I've never plugged in anything into HDMI and turned game mode on before, so I've never seen the issue.  I've noticed once I turn game mode off, the horizontal line and tearing goes away.  Sometimes if I toggle game mode, the stuck line will be less noticeable.  Hope this helps Roku and anyone else.

0 Kudos
Vegeta
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

yep same thing just happened to me and its july 7th so idk if i should just refund this tv or what

0 Kudos
hwieler
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue here on a Hisense 50R61G.  Hisense pointed me to Roku, Roku pointed me to Hisense 🙂

As it only happens when using Roku apps it's a software issue.  I've asked to see if they plan to issue a update with a fix.  FIngers crossed.

0 Kudos
wentzelitis
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@Jennerstein wrote:

I just discovered the horizontal line issue also.   TV's been fine on 9.3 with streaming Netflix and Disney Plus.  I've identified the horizontal line occurs for me on HDMI when I have game mode on for playing a game (i.e. SNES Classic).  I've never plugged in anything into HDMI and turned game mode on before, so I've never seen the issue.  I've noticed once I turn game mode off, the horizontal line and tearing goes away.  Sometimes if I toggle game mode, the stuck line will be less noticeable.  Hope this helps Roku and anyone else.

This sounds like a different issue tbh.  The issue people in this thread have is with streaming apps only, not hdmi or game mode. 

0 Kudos
leegato
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@VegetaSince this seems to be present across all TVs with Roku, regardless of brand (TCL, Hisense, etc.), I'm convinced it's a Roku software issue.  If you plan on getting another Roku TV I'd say maybe wait, but if you don't plan on getting a Roku TV to replace it then I say consider the refund if you can.  Returning the TV would have been too inconvenient for me, and I noticed it's only on streaming that this occurs for me so I have other alternatives to consider.

0 Kudos
leegato
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Though this does sound like a different issue, this does bring up that perhaps game mode might be impacting the issue.  Roku Support finally got back to me and said they're continuing to investigate the matter, but I think I'll try to mention this thread (again) and suggest that this may occur when game mode is toggled.  That said, this only occurs on streaming and not in HDMI for me and most of the people of this thread.

0 Kudos
wentzelitis
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@leegato wrote:

Though this does sound like a different issue, this does bring up that perhaps game mode might be impacting the issue.  Roku Support finally got back to me and said they're continuing to investigate the matter, but I think I'll try to mention this thread (again) and suggest that this may occur when game mode is toggled.  That said, this only occurs on streaming and not in HDMI for me and most of the people of this thread.

fair enough. i do have game mode on all my hdmi inputs and haven't tried turning it off.. but have never once experienced an issue over hdmi, and i use them more than the streaming apps.

fwiw my gf has a previous model tcl roku tv from a couple years ago and does not have this horizontal line issue (game mode is enabled for all her inputs as well) so perhaps it's affecting newer tvs but not older ones for some reason as well? haven't checked her roku tv firmware version or anything.

0 Kudos
Jennerstein
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's possible that my issue is unrelated, but for me game mode is part of the reason.  I also wonder if the resolution type is also related.  I read a post where somewhere else was having horizontal issues with his Wii, I'm having issues with the SNES Classic, someone else mentioned what he thought was an issue with PS3.  People aren't reporting issues with PS4 or Xbox One.  So just spitballing here, but is it related to 720p or lower (since that what the SNES Classic and Wii and PS3 would be outputting to)

We don't know the streaming resolution that people with the streaming app issue are using. Maybe Roku has a bug related to game mode and/or 720p?

I have not see any issues with my TLC 65" R613's streaming apps in Netflix or Disney Plus or YouTube TV but I'm streaming at 4K or 1080p.

0 Kudos
leegato
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

That's a good point!  I'll bring this up to support.  I can try experimenting on Youtube, since that's one of the few streaming apps that lets one select the stream's resolution, though it is tricky because it does seem like once it occurs, it occurs regardless of what program you play at whatever resolution.  I remember when I first encountered the issue I was curious if game mode made any impact on it at all, though I could not determine if there was a correlation.

0 Kudos