Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Teecpa60
Level 7

Hooking up Roku sound bar to hdmi on older tv

I have a older Sony tv with 4 hdmi inputs and optical cable out. ( no hdmi arc).  Will the Roku soundbar connect with this setup?

thanks

tim

6 REPLIES 6\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Hooking up Roku sound bar to hdmi on older tv

@Teecpa60 

Thanks for the inquiry.

If your TV doesn't have an ARC port, you can still use the Roku Smart Soundbar, but you will need to connect a second cable. In addition to the HDMI cable, you will need to connect an optical cable to your TV's optical output, sometimes labeled "Digital audio out" or "Digital output". This connection carries TV audio to your Roku Smart Soundbar, while the HDMI connection delivers video to the TV.

For more information about the Roku Smart Soundbar, visit out Support page here: What is a Roku® Smart Soundbar?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Coneflower
Level 7

There is one more step for hooking up an older Samsung TV to the Roku soundbar.  Newer Samsungs can connect through Samsung's Anynet+.  This feature is not offered on the TV's menu for older models.  So do you know how the older model can send audio to the soundbar?

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

If the older tv doesn't have hdmi-arc input, then you'll have to use combination of regular hdmi and optical cable. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Coneflower
Level 7

Yes, I did this.  However, per the Roku instructions for connecting the soundbar, the next step is to enable the CEC setting on my TV.  Each manufacture has its own CEC setting, and Samsung's is Anynet+.  I have a eight-yr-old Samsung smart TV which does not have this menu option.  So, I cannot complete the setup and get the sound to the soundbar without the Anynet+ CEC setting.  I called Samsung support and spoke to a young lady who tried to help but seemed at a loss as to what to do.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
RayIT
Level 7

I have an older Samsung TV that supports "AnyNet" does that mean it will support Audio over HDMI and is the ARC everyone talks about? I know when I setup Roku it said no ARC found so it recommended connecting Optical cable for audio. I am at crossroads right now because I am not happy with the Streambar Pro as it doesn't support Dolby Atmos so I am trying to explore my options.  My understanding is Dolby Atmos is not supported on the Optical cable because of bandwidth limitations so HDMI ARC is needed to support.... I do have a Roku Altimate and thinking of pairing it with a Vizio sound system, thoughts???

0 Kudos
RayIT
Level 7

Your Samsung is only 8 years old and doesn't have CEC and Annette, are you sure? My Samsung flat-screen 46 inch is older then that and has it..... 

0 Kudos