Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitachi 43R80 Roku TV -- USB port questions

Jump to solution

This TV has one USB port.  I had been using the port for a flash drive to enable the live TV pause.  More recently, I acquired a new indoor antenna that utilizes a USB amplifier.  My thinking was that if I bought a USB two-port splitter, that I could use both devices at the same time. 

It didn't work.

I realize that can use a wall adapter to power the antenna, but I'd prefer to do it through the TV since my power strip is getting maxed out as it is. 

So, help me understand why a USB splitter can't be used with my TV. Or if it can, what am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Hitachi 43R80 Roku TV -- USB port questions

Jump to solution

USB ports are only capable of supplying a limited amount of power. The USB 2.0 specification is 500 mA, or 1/2 amp. chances are good that the port can't supply enough power for both the USB stick and the antenna. Also, I wouldn't trust a USB splitter. I would suggest a true hub, although that might have been what you meant. There are powered USB hubs, but that would negate what you wanted to do by using the TV port for power. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution

USB ports are only capable of supplying a limited amount of power. The USB 2.0 specification is 500 mA, or 1/2 amp. chances are good that the port can't supply enough power for both the USB stick and the antenna. Also, I wouldn't trust a USB splitter. I would suggest a true hub, although that might have been what you meant. There are powered USB hubs, but that would negate what you wanted to do by using the TV port for power. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

What I have is a Y-shaped USB splitter, not a hub. Maybe a naive question, but what's the point of a splitter if there's not enough power to support two devices?  

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution

Some USB devices have very little power draw. Those Y connectors are usually used to connect a mouse and keyboard to a single jack. Unless the keyboard is illuminated, they draw almost no power, so a Y connector is fine. But for any sort of storage, say a hard drive or USB stick, to attach more than one device you really need a powered hub. Your powered antenna by itself may require more power than a USB port can supply, but without knowing the specs of the antenna I'm just making a guess. 

Dan
0 Kudos