Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hisensse Roku TV powering on and off on its own

I was watching TV and fell asleep. I woke up to my Hisense Roku tv on a restart loop. I unplugged it for an hour and plugged it back in but it turned on by its self, showed the hisense logo for a split second and turned off to repeat over and over. I pressed the hard reset button on the back for 10,30,60 seconds but nothing. I even unplugged it for 3 days and still nothing. Please help. My model number is 58R6E. Serial number is 58G1920B1H00231

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

Re: Hisensse Roku TV powering on and off on its own

I'm sorry this happened to you. You're not the only one. Yesterday someone reported the same problem with a Sharp. That thread links to someone else who reported the same thing a few days earlier. I think there's another thread with other brands doing it. (If I find that, I'll update this post. There's a very long and old thread with people having a "recovery loop.").

Unfortunately, you're not going to get any help from Roku. They're going to tell you to talk to the tv maker (even though it's obviously software doing it). Roku pushed an untested update the past few months knowing it was breaking tvs. They told the affected people to talk to the tv makers (and kept pushing it out, knowing what it was doing to customers.).

There is a pinhole reset button on the back. You could try that. Additionally, you could tell the initial setup that you'll connect to internet later. That loads a smaller and less-problematic form of the software. Maybe that would work, and you could stream through HDMI. (I'm using my two regrettable Roku tvs this way to protect them from additional untested updates. I've seen others say they've done the same thing.).

I hope that works for you. But, I think you need to prepare yourself for buying a new tv. The thread I linked to talks about replacing boards. You could do that, but I mentioned there how that's a gamble because nobody knows what is incompatible with the software. You could replace boards with the same thing, and end up the same way. 

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

@Visitor45763 wrote: I think there's another thread with other brands doing it.

I think this was the thread I was thinking of. That reminded me, perhaps it's the power button assembly. Someone in that thread said they fixed the problem by disconnecting the power button assembly. You can probably also replace it if necessary. I've seen a video saying some Roku tvs don't turn on unless the button module is connected. In that case, this kind of problem would be tested by turning on the tv with that module connected, and pull the connector out as soon as the tv's on. (If that fixed the problem, then you'd have to replace the module. But, if your tv will turn on without the module connected, and that fixes the problem, you could leave the module disconnected forever.).

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
User22
Channel Surfer

@Visitor45763 wrote:

There is a pinhole reset button on the back. You could try that.

Is this the same as the reset button near the HDMIs on my Sharp? Mine has a small button, which I don’t think I’d refer to as “pinhole.” I think Hisense and Sharp Roku TVs could have the same guts. My Sharp even has a Hisense sticker on. I just want to make sure I’m not missing something. 

0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

I found the quick-start guide for the OP's Hisense model. It shows the reset button being between the ant/cable & headphone. It doesn't show what it looks like, but implies it's labeled "RESET."

On my TCL tvs it's not something you could push with your finger. You have to use a paperclip or maybe a ballpoint pen. 

It's unclear how to use it. My manual says to depress and hold for 15 seconds. I've seen others say hold it until the front light flashes and/or dims. Others have said unplug the tv, press the button and plug the tv back in while continuing to hold the button until the front light flashes and/or dims. It may vary by tv brand. Or, it may not matter much, as long as you end up at the initial setup screen.

Harvini
Roku Guru

To try to shed a bit more light on the Hisense / Sharp relationship, I did a bit of spelunking into the subject.  Here is a statement which I think helps owners of both brands:

In 2015, Hisense began manufacturing all TVs bearing the Sharp brand name in the U.S. This license for Hisense to use the Sharp brand name had a five-year term with an option to extend.

Given that was the case, I have taken the liberty of extracting the passages from my Sharp user manual which explain the procedures to be followed to reset these sets:

Screenshot at 2021-03-04 11-01-53.png