Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Hijacked remote on Roku TV

Someone in a nearby apartment has somehow paired their remote with my #TCL ROKU tv. I have to physically unplug the power cord to get it to stop acting possessed. I am completely unable to use it at all.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Hijacked remote

It may not be a paired remote, but a Roku app on a phone or tablet that is connecting to your wifi network.  If so, this would enable them to piggyback on your Roku account and view The Roku Channel on their device as well as remotely controlling your tv.  They could also be pirating your internet connection for other uses.

Can you change the configuration on your router?  Set it up to use a different network name (SSID) and a hard to guess password and that will shut the neighbor out.  Then connect your wifi devices, including your tv, to the revised network.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Highlighted
Level 21

And if it is someone using an app on the network, you can disable the ability of the app to connect. Go into Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by mobile apps and disable access. 

If it truly is another remote that somehow linked to your device, you can go into the Remotes menu and see if it's there and unpair it if desired. Just make sure you don't unpair your remote. My two Roku TVs only use IR remotes, so they don't show any paired remotes. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 19

You can't un-pair a remote from the Roku tv menu, if it can be done from secret menu I have no idea. If you have wifi roku tv remote yourself, you can keep pairing it to your tv over and over, once you get to certaing limit the roku tv forgets them all. And hope your tv isn't on when the neighbor attempts again. 

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 21

Huh, I thought you could. Thanks for the update. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you. I will try that. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Ok I did this in settings, but they are still turning my tv on and off?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@Lorie555 wrote:

Ok I did this in settings, but they are still turning my tv on and off?

OK, sounds like it's not someone doing it with the app. Look at Remotes and devices in your settings menu and see how many remotes it shows as paired. My Ultra shows just the one. My TV shows none, since it uses an IR remote. 

Do you have a Vizio TV nearby? I have one near my Sharp Roku TV, and if I use the Vizio remote it also changes the Roku unless I hide the IR signal from the Roku. In the same way, I have to cover the Vizio IR receiver window so the Roku TV remote doesn't change it. Of course, this means both remotes are within line of sight of both TVs. IR doesn't work through walls or other physical barriers. Even paper will block IR. 

Dan
0 Kudos