Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ezaidepc
Reel Rookie

Help! Roku TCL TV won’t stream after changing routers

I just changed my wireless router and my Roku TCL TV will recognize it and see my network connection but them when I try to load a program from one of the streaming channels, it tells me there’s no internet connection. But when I go to check the connection, the network connection is there. My password does not have any special characters so that is not my problem. And I can watch streaming through the Dish Network channels so it is definitely something with the Roku TCL TV software. I did a factory reset to see if that would work but any other ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Ezaidepc
Reel Rookie

Re: Help! Roku TCL TV won’t stream after changing routers

UPDATE: The factory reset did not work. The TV will see my internet connections but not actually connect to the internet. I tried plugging in the old router connected via my switch which it does see but again there’s no internet connection through that one. Now I can’t even watch satellite or Fire stick (any of the other inputs) due to lack of internet connection. This happened on my bedroom tv too which is why I bought the Fire stick, which resolved the problem in there. My gut feeling is the network card in the tv has gone out. I’m going to try one more thing with the router setup before I try an external network card or usb network card. 

Visitor45763
Roku Guru

It's strange that the Roku wifi board went out at the same time you replaced your router. There is another thread about a very well-known Roku wifi problem (has existed for years without any acknowledgement from Roku). It involves tvs suddenly having "mac address all zeroes." Someone said that it's a design problem with the Roku wireless board. A metal cover needs to be grounded. I'm skeptical of that because others have said they fixed the problem by taking the tv to a different wifi point to perform a software update (or maybe using an RJ45 wire to the router). If it can be fixed that way, it doesn't sound like a ground problem. (But, who knows. Roku TV is like a box of chocolates.).

If you're not having the all-zeros problem, I'd say to go to settings>system>power, and disable "fast start" if enabled. Then do the "restart" option on that menu. If still no network, I would go to system>advanced to do the network reset. If still no network, I'd go to settings>network to delete the network. Then system>power>restart. Then go back to settings>network to setup the network again. (You'd think the factory reset would have made all of this superfluous at this point. But, it wouldn't hurt to try those steps.).

Also, I've seen people say they've replaced the wifi board. Apparently these tvs are 4-5 boards that can be found on Amazon & eBay. That might be work googling about.

Personally, I'm liking the idea of using my Roku tvs as dumb tvs (not connected to the network; protect them from the untested updates), and isolate streaming functionality in a standalone HDMI box. I'm going that direction. 

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos
Visitor45763
Roku Guru

I would try removing the apps. Do the settings>system>power>restart. Then add an app again. That's been known to fix app problems. (If it's Youtube, be sure to remove YouTube TV too. Apparently those share libraries, or something. A couple people couldn't fix their problem without getting rid of both.).

Again, you'd think the factory reset would have done all this (and more). But, Roku's software is a mess. One example: when you factory reset without creating a network connection, it installs an older version of software. But, the system>settings>about screen still shows the version you reset yourself out of. It appears they're not wiping everything setting during a reset. So, maybe deleting apps wipes something the factory reset doesn't. (Just like deleting the app doesn't completely delete it. You have to do the system>power>restart before adding the app again.). You never know if there's some small detail like this which could fix the problem.

It wouldn't hurt to try.

"People are often amazed at how much we’ve done with the number of engineers we’ve got." (Roku CEO Anthony Wood, Austin Statesman, Oct 4, 2019). "Amazed" is one way of putting it.
0 Kudos