Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swannetta
Reel Rookie

Headphones no longer work since DirecTV upgraded us to genie

Wonder if anyone else is experiencing this problem?  I have an onn. 32” Class HD (720P) LED Roku Smart TV and it has been wonderful for over a year. I use headphones because of hearing problems and extremely noisy neighbors. DirecTV notified us that we were to receive a free upgrade to genie. They came out, did the installation and set us up on the new system. Since then I am unable to use the headphones. The sound crackles, pops and cuts in and out. I have tried everything...resetting, unplugging, setting to factory, etc etc. Nothing helps. Does someone out there have an answer and hopefully a fix for me? I sure would appreciate it. Thanks

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Headphones no longer work since DirecTV upgraded us to genie

@swannetta

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? What devices are connected to your Roku TV and how are you connecting your headphones to the TV?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
swannetta
Reel Rookie

I appreciate you getting back to me in such a timely fashion, Danny.

My Roku model is an onn. 32" 720P HD ROKU TV. There is a small headphone jack on the side of the set on the back. I have used it for almost two years and it has worked perfectly. I have been very pleased. However, we were notified last month by DirecTV that we needed to upgrade our systems. The technician came out and installed the two genies (they put us on WholeHome, so the main genie is in the living room, and mine is in the master bedroom).

I began almost immediately to experience loud interference, snaps, pops, sound cutting in and out and lagging sound. I thought it was a dish issue, but the main system has not experienced any of this, so I began troubleshooting. I unplugged, rebooted, reset to factory and started from scratch, nothing helped.

I made a service call and DTV came out again and checked everything. They told me it was something to do with the TV, itself. I unplugged the headphones and used a cotton tip to clean the opening because I thought perhaps it was dirty, but while I was doing that, I noticed the sound worked perfectly!

I am forced to use the set without headphones, and driving my brother crazy because I am hard of hearing and have to turn the level up quite high. I realize I am rambling, but wanted to be sure the problem is explained thoroughly. I sure hope there is a fix for this. Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@swannetta

Thanks for the post.

In order for us to find the root cause of the issue, have you already tried disconnecting your DTV setup from your Roku TV and then seeing if the issue persists with your headphones audio?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
swannetta
Reel Rookie

Sound completely gone now. I gave up on using headphones, so have been listening without them. Suddenly there was a tremendous pop and the sound disappeared. I went through the entire process again...unplug, reset, unplug and replug Genie, reset sound options, factory reset, another factory reset...Nada! have a two-year warranty, guess I will have to see about getting my TV repaired? I am at a loss. 

Addendum: I just tried a factory reset for the third time this morning (I tried the "third time is the charm" scenario) and the sound is miraculously on again. And, GUESS WHAT?  My headphones work perfectly! What the heck?

0 Kudos