Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_Xena_
Streaming Star

Have to keep unplugging Roku TV to screen mirror...

Since the 10.5 update, I have to unplug the TV, and plug it back in, to get it to screen mirror. It does it on both TCL 32" TVs. Will this mess up, hurt, tear up my TVs, if I have to keep doing this to screen mirror? Sadly, that's the only way I can get it to work. I'm having to do this at least once every day, in order to get it to work. It says TV is connected to my internet, everything works fine, but the screen mirroring issue. I've had no issues until the 10.5 update. The TVs worked great, up until this point. 

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Jlj9903

Re: Screen mirroring not working anymore on TCL Roku TV

I'm having the same problem.  Mirroring worked fine until about 1 week ago.  I do NOT use wifi to connect, just smart view.  I also tried to mirror a LG device with their default mirroring software and it did not work. I also tried with both devices while connected to wifi and that didn't work either.  My tv did recieve the 10.5 update around the same time it stopped working.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Have to keep unplugging Roku TV to screen mirror...

@_Xena_ 

Rather than unplugging the TV in that manner, you could just perform a System Restart (Reboot).

Settings..System..Power..System Restart

I would save the unplugging of a RokuTV for only when it becomes unresponsive/frozen.

I don't know if it will help re: the screen mirroring, but maybe try disabling the Power Saving features as well while you are in Settings.  Navigate to Settings..System..Power..Auto Power Savings and see if either disabling the 15min power reduction or 4hr shut off options helps with the issue.  Only other option I would check is Settings..System..Screen Mirroring..Screen Mirroring Mode and enable Always Allow.  I really do not use wireless screen mirroring, so not claiming to the best source on this one.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
_Xena_
Streaming Star

Re: Screen mirroring not working anymore on TCL Roku TV

I'm having the same issue, ever since the 10.5 update. I also have a Samsung A51, I use to cast with, as well as a Moto G7. 

0 Kudos
_Xena_
Streaming Star

@AvsGunnar 

Yes, this a temporary fix, with the doing a restart in the settings. This won't damage the TV will it, since this is the only fix for it as of now? I doubt Roku will even look into this screen mirroring/screen casting issue. 😭 Everything was perfectly fine until the 10.5 update, then I received that message about the 10.5 update asking if i wanted to see what's new, and I hit no thanks, and since that, both TVs have had ossues screen mirroring/casting.  Do you know if they are looking into fixing all these bugs that this new update has caused? 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@_Xena_ 

Restarting using the "System Restart" should not harm the RokuTV or any Roku device as it is simply a device reboot.  It additionally clears the system/memory cache upon restart so actually a recommended course of action.

I use System Restart regularly on all my devices. (especially those used for testing when responding to user issues.)  You don't need to worry about using System Restart "too much".  It is just a reboot.

Maybe try the same reboot on the device you are using to initiate the mirror (the source).  If you are using your phone, try rebooting the phone and not the Roku.  If you find that rebooting the phone also fixes issue, then the culprit is simply a loss of communication between the source (phone) and client (roku).  

I am sure future builds to the OS will address issues as they become known and affect a greater number of devices, but honestly, it is more of learning how to use "workarounds" to accomplish the task you are trying to achieve.  I also think it may  probably be more difficult to address the screen mirroring because they have to account for all the sources that are originating the mirroring.  I know from web casting that some of my Android apps no longer work properly because some of the streaming sites changed the source stream format and Roku doesn't recognize them.  I just had to find new source sites that were still compatible with the Roku.  

0 Kudos
_Xena_
Streaming Star

@AvsGunnar 

Ok thank you for all your help. That seems to fix the problem, for my screen mirroring issue. I also have to do the reboot, on the one in my bedroom, as well as the living room. I'm guessing this is a issue on their end, with the connectivity issue. I'm guessing everyone's Roku devices are connected, it's Roku isn't recognizing the connection, for some reason, and you have to do the reboot, to fix it. I guess they "broke" the connection issue somewhere. I use Allcast to screen mirror to the Roku, as well as this other app called Video Web Caster, if you have an Android phone, feel free to try the Vjdeo Web Caster app. That's the best one I've found, so far, to cast movies to my TV, from movie sites. FlixerHQ.ru is the site I use. You can also probably find a free apk premium app for Video Web Caster. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@_Xena_ 

Yes, Video Web Caster (instantbits) is my preferred app for casting.

Also use Rokify and Castify quite a bit also.

If you are trying to mirror just videos and pictures stored on your phone (not casting online content), you can try using the official Roku Remote app as well and see if that helps with mirroring.

0 Kudos