Discussions

Premium audio. Made simple.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bill_Canuck
Level 7

Have new Roku Streambar, connects to internet, streams to TV but cannot play cable TV sound. Help.

I have a one year old Sharp TV with regular HDMI, no HDMI ARC. Bought a Roku Streambar yesterday. Using the optical cable with the HDMI cable gives me streaming capability with the Streambar. The sound from Roku channels play through fine. When I want to watch my cable TV service no sound comes through to the Streambar only the TV's speakers. What should I do? Do I have to return the Streambar?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
cmarkevich
Level 7

Roku Streambar Soundbar only plays Roku sounds, not other sources (like Fios "cable" TV)

Connected new Roku Streambar to an older Sharp TV (without ARC HDMI) using regular HDMI and optical cable.  Now when we play programming through Roku, the sound plays through the Streambar, but when we use another source of programming like Fios "cable" TV, the sound goes through the TV speakers.  Is there a way to make the sound for other sources come through the streambar?  I don't see any sound setting in the Sharp TV setting menu or any way to use alternate sound output...

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Have new Roku Streambar, connects to internet, streams to TV but cannot play cable TV sound. Hel

It might be the optical cable they do go bad, its glass it may break if bent. Or make sure its seated right at both ends? 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Bill_Canuck
Level 7

Re: Have new Roku Streambar, connects to internet, streams to TV but cannot play cable TV sound. Hel

Am I wasting my time in trying to get my cable tv service to play through the new Roku Streambar? The Sharp TV (one year old) only has "regular" HDMI and the optical output. I have the optical cable connected with the HDMI cable and I am getting sounds from ROKU channels playing and sounds are acceptable. I don't know how to get my cable service to play sounds through the Streambar instead of the TV speakers. Is it supposed to play the cable TV sounds or not?  There is no description that clearly states this. I purchased the Roku Streambar to play all my TV services.

0 Kudos