Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

HDR bright flickering issue on TCL R625

Since release of this tv there has been an issue when you are using HDR bright. Scene transitions from dark to bright cause a little flicker. It is almost like the local dimming can't keep up. This was not an issue on the R617 model from 2018 so I am thinking it is a firmware issue. 

Is there a possibility this will get fixed?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: HDR bright flickering issue on TCL R625

@samoth84  Thanks for reaching out. Have you contacted your Roku TV manufacturer to report the issue and inquire further? You can locate their contact information here: https://community.roku.com/t5/Manufacturer-Support-Warranty-Resources/Contacting-Support-for-Your-Ro...

To help take a closer look, could you share a video of the issue you are seeing? 

If you could also provide more information about the issue, including the specific streaming channel and content title (or HDMI input device, app, and content title, etc.)  that would be super helpful to try and reproduce the issue you're reporting. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Hi RokuTanner. @RokuTannerD 

Thank you for your response. I have yet to contact TCL directly but I definitely will. I am not sure a video will capture the issue. I can say that I have heard from many others that they experience the issue too but only in HDR bright. 

I have had it happen in the movie Stories to tell in the Dark but to get a more reliable result of the issue, you can see it happen on the Xbox One X in games such as The Witcher 3 and Assassins Creed: Odyssey. In the Witcher 3 you can see when transitioning from the game map menu out to game play, and actually the same thing happens in Odyssey. It seems to happen every time you go from a dark image to a brighter image. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

My TCL 65R625 started doing this after the 9.2.2 update only with HDR content, on every app or source. 
You can see it the most in HDR Bright, Normal and dark it still happens but you don't notice it as much.

I tired to make a quick video showing the issue, see about 7 seconds in (did not come out very well)
https://youtu.be/AIf5M91MhU8
This video only shows the issue once but It does that rapidly and repeatedly depending on the content. 

This one shows it happening a lot more rapidly. 
https://youtu.be/jo0AJx_V2FE

Both videos in 4k on youtube, might have to manually select  2160p.

I've seen others talk about this online but no fix yet.
I already did a factory reset on the tv, did not help.
I'll contect TCL support as well hopefully it's a software issue. Report back if you find out any info.

Roku TV - TCL 65R625
Highlighted
Level 8

@DvST8_ 

What your video shows is exactly what I am talking about. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

This SAME THING is happening to me. I just sold my 5 series to solve this. Bought the 6 series. Did not solve it. This must be a software issue. I just contacted TCL, please keep us updated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

I'm having the same issue and have contacted TCL. It appears to be an issue on Roku's end. Here is their response: 

Thanks for reaching out.

We are very sorry to learn about the issue which is also happening on your new TV model. This can be an issue with the latest Roku software update and can be addressed by the upcoming updates from Roku. However, we do not have the control over Roku software update so we will need to wait for the update of Roku when it becomes available. Knowing this information, even a replacement coming from us will not resolve the issue because we do not have control over Roku part of the TV. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.

Highlighted
Level 7

it is happening with my 65 r625 also

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Happening on my 615 as well.  Makes me ill when I watch. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Here’s an update regarding a fix. Went through 3 months of back and forth with roku and TCL, and TCL finally took responsibility and sent someone over to repair the TV. Unfortunately their repair didn’t work. This is an issue that’s engraved in most of the lower end TV because their processing power isn’t fast enough to handle the local dimming. I tried to get them to send me a faster 8 series, which would solve the problem, but they refused and stated they would only give me a refund and have someone pick up the TV from me. Absolutely disgusting that these companies are selling TV’s with such a fatal flaw. The 5 and 6 series should be discontinued immediately. Spent over a dozen hours back and forth between both companies, and all they offered was a refund which I could have gotten from Best Buy.