Spar

Re: HDCP Error with Roku Soundbar

I’m having the same problem on my Samsung 8500 series tv. Pulling the cables every is getting ridiculous. It doesn’t matter the channel, it happens on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, YouTube... It “fixes” when I pull the cables but error 020 comes back at least every day. If there’s no solution it’ll be on its way back next week. So disappointed, we have 4 Roku TVs and this is the only problem... very frustrating. 

0 Kudos
MisterRiddle
Reel Rookie

No need to pull the cables, restarting the Roku via it's menu works. It's almost as if there is something in the START UP SEQUENCE THEY NEED TO INCLUDE EVERYTIME YOU SWITCH FROM ANOTHER SOURCE BACK TO THE ROKU AS A STREAMING DEVICE VERSUS JUST A SOUNDBAR FOR THE TV.

0 Kudos
Agonystes
Reel Rookie

I received word after talking to a roku representative a list of things to try to fix this problem. I had already done all of them. Nothing worked. It was especially bad if I tried to watch hulu or CBS all access. They immediately sent me return stickers and let me know that they were sending a replacement. I received the replacement, print the return sticker and repacked the old one in the box.

I can happily say that my new one has not had a HDCP Error for the first three days of ownership on any app I've tried. 

Thank you Roku support. Problem solved.

0 Kudos
TimJohnston
Channel Surfer

@Agonystes Can you let us all know where/how you contacted Roku to get this replacement please? Any hints/tips on who to reach out to for a replacement? Also, is it still stable? What's the firmware version on the new unit, perhaps there's an update that fixes it?

Thanks, TJ 

0 Kudos
MisterRiddle
Reel Rookie

Seems like you can find a cheap hardware solution.  Google "why HDCP causes errors on your HDTV, and how to fix it" it will bring up an article on How To Geek

0 Kudos
smcgrail70

Is there an actual fix for this yet? This began as a minor annoyance that would only happen to me during commercials, but the issue has gotten much worse over the last month. Troubleshooting steps in error do not work.image.png

0 Kudos
Agonystes
Reel Rookie

I tried every solution given. In the end they seemed it not able to be fixed on my side and replaced it with a new one. It was actually a very nice process going through their online tech support. If you go the website you can find help. Tell them of your issues, troubleshoot and if it's not fixed they seem pretty reasonable.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@smcgrail70

Thanks for the post.

If you are experiencing a HDCP Error with those error codes, we would recommend checking out the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MisterRiddle
Reel Rookie

Danny,

I don't want to sound condescending, but I imagine everyone posting in this thread has already seen your recommendation provided by the support page back in June of last year and tried it IT DOES NOT WORK long term.  It will fix the issue once, and then when you turn the TV off and back on or change sources and go back to the HDMI input the Roku is on, it does NOT reestablish/reauthenticate the HDCP connection.

When does the ROKU authenticate HDCP?  Is it when the Roku is powered on? Is there ANY OTHER TIME when the Roku re-establishes HDCP?

Here's the summary:

TV set to Roku input.  Roku restarted.  HDCP works.

Change TV input to antenna or other HDMI.  Roku still on as soundbar so RECEIVING AUDIO OVER HDMI from other source (antenna or DVD or whatever).  Go back to Roku HDMI as input.  HDCP does not work.  Restart Roku via menu on Roku, HDCP works.  (hence cable and connection is NOT the issue nor is TV)  Roku is the device delivering the protected content, it is the issue.

TV set to Roku input.  Roku on.  HDCP works.  TV turned off while still set to Roku input. Roku goes to idle or whatever happens after no input or use for a while.  TV turned back ON.  HDCP does not work.

The issue is whenever going BACK to the Roku video stream as an input, the HDCP authentication DOES NOT get re-established after at some point the authentication was done and worked (the authentication probably drops out when TV is turned off or source is changed at TV to other HDMI and now the TV is using the ARC functionality to send audio back to the Roku soundbar).

0 Kudos
TnHillBilly
Reel Rookie

I don't know what the issue that causes it I have a Vizio 65' Quantram Dot TV. An this happens especially during commercials.The only way to fix it is to go to display settings an set it to 1080p. Makes me think the HDMI cable isn't as good as it should be.

0 Kudos