StanW
Reel Rookie

Re: HDCP Error with Roku Soundbar

I read all of the comments but I did not see a solution. The Roku soundbar is the problem. Roku ultra works. I have a Samsung TV. There are 2 HDMI ports. I tried them both. One is labeled HDMI IN 2 (MHL&DVI). The other is labeled HDMI IN 1 (STB). I have also connected the optical cable. I get 020 errors and sometimes 032 errors. I also get black screens during a movie. None of these things happen with the roku ultra that I have on 3 other TVs. What can I do?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@StanW 

Thanks for the post.

If you are experiencing a HDCP Error with those error codes, we would recommend checking out the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if I see a “HDCP Error Detected” message or a purple screen?

Keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StanW
Reel Rookie

I have already done the suggested steps several times. Also, all of the posts prior to mine have also followed the steps. There seems to be an issue between the Roku soundbar and Samsung TV. Also, I mentioned the two HDMI ports on the TV. Neither are ARC. Which one should I use?  Also, I had previously used a Roku Ultra with this TV. Do I have to do something before switching to the soundbar?

0 Kudos
TimJohnston
Channel Surfer

Do yourself a favor, if you can return the soundbar then do it. If it’s incompatible with your tv you have two options, replace the TV or remove the sound bar (FYI: a standard Roku works fine without issues).

I’ve tried everything and I’m a big proponent of Roku. I have/had 8 or so and all work fine with the Samsung TV. In fact I just removed the sound bar today and will only be using it for outdoor movies via a projector (incredibly frustrating). There’s no point throwing away a perfectly good 65” TV...

It’s disappointing, as it seems Roku have no interest is trying to solve this, as I can only summarize it’s a niche issue. Kinda **bleep** no one reached out with any useful diagnostic efforts - and I own stock in the company too.

TJ

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@StanW 

Thanks for the update.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue after following the steps provided by our Support page, please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: HDCP Error 20 with Roku Soundbar

It seems that everybody has the same problem error code 20 on the roku sound bar have done everything suggested and even had support ship me a replacement but the replacement does the same thing intermittent but I'm getting tired of pulling my TV out to unplug the HDMI's and power cables.   You would think a common problem like this Roko could find a solution.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RichardHunker 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to pass along your concerns to our Support team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
PatD894

I have had the same issue as well.  About every 4th or 5th time I turn on my television (a Samsung Series 6, model 6200), I get the HDCP Error screen.  I follow the steps provided and then the TV/Roku Soundbar work fine - but just for a few days until the error message pops up again.  I shouldn't have to keep doing this every few times I turn on the TV.  I called Samsung, Roku, and my internet provider - no one has been able to provide a solution.   I updated my cables, but no change.  I do have to connect the Roku Soundbar to my TV using both HDMI and optical digital audio cables, but theoretically, according to what I've read, that shouldn't make a difference.

0 Kudos
Agonystes
Reel Rookie

So Roku have you guys created a patch or anything? We recently bought a Roku soundbar and when used with any Samsung TV it has the HCCP error over and over and over. I tried to watch an episode of Bob's burgers on Hulu and it literally happened twenty times. That almost once a minute. Pretty unacceptable compared to product quality of the past.

0 Kudos
MisterRiddle
Reel Rookie

I have the same problem with my ONN branded ROKU soundbar.  The issue happens in a few situations:  1.  when the TV is turned off and then back on  2. The TV source is changed from ROKU to antenna and then back.  The issue appears to be that once the Roku has established that HDCP is active and lets you play content, when you break that connection (either turning off the TV or changing source on the TV so you're not streaming via the ROKU and just using it for sound), when you switch BACK to the ROKU and a protected content source which then requires HDCP, the Roku does not check to see if HDCP is active again and the only way to get it to establish it is active is to "restart" the ROKU (which then must check if HDCP is present).  My old ROKU (not a soundbar) streaming to my TV was always fine via HDMI to the same TV and I never had to restart.  My family just restarts via the menu, or one of my kids quickly unplugs and plugs the HDMI back in (no need to power anything back off or on, the physical break/make of the connection seems to result in an autodetection of HDCP).   It's extremely annoying.  Why doesn't the ROKU check for HDCP anytime the TV is turned on or any time the remote is used to activate the menu after being idle?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos