Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andyj682
Reel Rookie

HBO Max won't serve Atmos audio on TCL Roku TV Series 6

I've got a TCL Roku TV 55R635 running audio through a new Onkyo receiver (using eARC). Works like a dream for the most part but the HBO Max app just won't serve me Atmos audio (or Dolby audio of any kind, for that matter)—all I get is PCM, even on Atmos content. Netflix, Apple TV, etc. all send Atmos audio to the receiver no problem (I've got audio set to "passthrough" and the TV is detecting that the receiver supports DTS and Atmos). And just for fun, I hooked a Roku 4K Express from the other room to my receiver, and the HBO app gave me Atmos audio on there—so it seems to be a problem specifically with the HBO app on the TCL TV. Anyone else come across this problem and have any ideas?

TLDR:

Other TCL Roku TV apps + my receiver via eARC = Atmos

HBO on another Roku + my receiver = Atmos

HBO on the TCL Roku TV + my receiver via eARC = PCM

(Another weird thing is that the HBO app only gives me HDR on their UHD stuff, not Dolby Vision—again, other apps that promise Dolby Vision give it to me no problem. But this is obviously less of an issue than **bleep** PCM audio to go with my nice 4K picture.)

4 REPLIES 4
shwanyboy
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max won't serve Atmos audio on TCL Roku TV Series 6

Same here- No Atmos only on HBOMax app, eARC to Denon receiver, TCL 6 Series TV. Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
MSTEELE1

I'm having a similar issue, also with a series 6 TCL. Every other streaming app i have plays Atmos with no issues. It is only HBOMAX that will not play Atmos sound. Did anyone ever find a solution? 

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @MSTEELE1

Thank you for the inquiry!

If you're experiencing issues with Atmos sound on HBO Max specifically on your Roku device, here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

• Check your Roku device compatibility: Make sure your Roku device is compatible with Atmos sound. Not all Roku devices support Atmos sound, so check the device specifications to ensure it's supported.
  • Check your sound system compatibility: Ensure that your sound system is compatible with Atmos sound. If your sound system doesn't support Atmos sound, you won't be able to play it even if it's available on HBO Max.
  • Check your HDMI connection: Make sure that your Roku device is connected to your sound system through an HDMI connection that supports Atmos sound. If your HDMI connection doesn't support Atmos, you won't be able to play it.
  • Check your HBO Max app settings: Make sure that your HBO Max app is set to play audio in Atmos format. You can usually find this setting in the audio options or settings menu within the app.
  • Restart your Roku device and sound system: Try restarting both your Roku device and sound system to see if that resolves the issue.
  • Update your Roku device software: Ensure that your Roku device has the latest software updates installed. You can check for updates by going to Settings > System > System update.

If none of the above troubleshooting steps work, you may want to contact HBO Max support for further assistance.
We hope it helps!

Warm regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
boatnik

no atmos on max for me either. Yamaha a8a paramount,netflix,vudu,prime all get atmos. All I get with HBO is dolby hd+ . It also will not work with apple or Amazon music.

0 Kudos