Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PietroPietro
Channel Surfer

HBO Max and LG OLED TVs

Hello,

I was about to buy an LG OLED TV but I heard that there are problems accessing HBO Max on an LG TV. My understanding is that IT MAY be possible to use a Roku stick with an LG OLED TV and access HBO Max that way. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks! 

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: HBO Max and LG OLED TVs

Rokus come in multiple forms and are meant to work with any TV with an HDMI input.  (No specific brand of TV is required.)

https://www.roku.com/products/compare

PietroPietro
Channel Surfer

Hi Strega! Thanks for your prompt response. Are you sure about this? When I Google LG TVs and HBO Max I see a long (and often angry) discussion about LG TVs not supporting HBO Max. It is something to do with AT&T, (which owns Warner Media, which owns HBO) and its partnership/relationship with Samsung (a bitter rival of LG). Samsung, I guess, would prefer to keep HBO Max off LG TVs so people will buy Samsung TVs instead! Thanks - Pietro

Strega
Roku Guru

Well, I've never heard of anything on Roku failing to work due to the brand of the TV. I'm not even sure if brand names are communicated over HDMI.  I did notice in the Wikipedia entry on HDMI it says: "Use of HDMI logo requires compliance testing." so it seems unlikely to me that one HDMI thingy would intentionally not work with another.

Here's an interesting thread:

https://forums.att.com/conversations/installations-setup/when-will-hbo-max-support-lg-tvs-roku-or-am...

The question was: "When will HBO Max support LG TVs, Roku or Amazon Prime Video?" and the official AT&T answer was: "HBO Max is now available on Roku devices.  Just download HBO Max on your supported device, sign in through your TV, digital, or mobile provider, and start streaming."