Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmowhat
Channel Surfer

HBO Max - Not Loading Black Screen 3 dots - Black Screen then Screen Saver

Jump to solution

HBO Max is not working on my Roku TV for the past few weeks. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, signing out HBO of other devices, uninstalling and restarting, unplugging Roku, unplugging the modem, reconnecting the internet, uninstalling and reinstalling in a variety of combinations x 10+ times, restarting Roku multiple times, and finally factory reset the Roku, and I'm getting the same issue. It loads the HBO purple loading screen for 2 seconds, then a black screen with 3 rotating dots at the bottom for 3 seconds, then a black screen with no response, and eventually the Roku screen saver. If I press the back arrow there is no response, I have to press the home button to exit whatever this is. Can anyone help me? Thanks! 

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: HBO Max - Not Loading Black Screen 3 dots - Black Screen then Screen Saver

Jump to solution

Hi @tmowhat 

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

The channel developer themselves maintains channels on Roku. We suggest reaching out to HBO Max's customer support team to report the issue and get help. There's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

You can contact them here: HBO Max | Help Center

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
tmowhat
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

HBO didn't have a solution. They said they are working on it and have zero timeline on when it will be fixed. They said to keep updating the app and that's it. 

BUT I DID GET HBO TO WORK VIA "GUEST MODE" VIA someone else's suggestion in this thread. Thank you for the temporary fix! 

You can enter Guest Mode on your Roku device using the steps below:

1. Press Home 

on your Roku remote

2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Guest Mode
  5. Select Enter Guest Mode

6. Enter your PIN
  7. Select OK, and confirm

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Please be aware that this thread was originally in regards to the HBO Max channel on OS 11.5, which is now an outdated Roku OS.

If you are still experiencing an issue with not loading the now Max channel and seeing a black screen and 3 dots, we would recommend searching the Roku Community for another thread related to the issue you are experiencing and if none exist, we invite you to create a new thread depicting the issue you are seeing. We would need the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

We look forward to investigating any issues that you may be experiencing. We will be closing this thread out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
65 REPLIES 65
Stardestroyer03
Reel Rookie

[OS 11.5] HBO Max Channel Loads and Shows 3 Dots

Jump to solution

Model: 7820x - Roku TV

Serial number: YN0051783130(0S5965783130)

Software Version: 11.5.0 * build 4312-AT

Timestamp: 2023-02-19T03:08:55Z

Issue ID: 30-070-748

Issue I'm having is whenever I open the HBO Max screen I see it opens with three dots and then all I see is a black screen and it's not like I can even log in. This happened when I changed my password for HBO Max and I have another TV that is the same as the TV above and they both have the same issue with Roku. 

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Re: [OS 11.5] HBO Max Channel Loads and Shows 3 Dots

Jump to solution

Hi @Stardestroyer03

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

In some cases, removing the affected channel and then reinstalling it helps. To ensure the process is successful, restart your device before adding the channel back in. We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link: How do I resolve channel playback issues?

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Regards,
Karla

A-foster

Jump to solution

I’ve tried ever suggestion I can find for getting HBO MAX to work on my Roku device and it will not work. It pops up the opening screen, then shows 3 white dots and then the screen goes black. I’ve uninstalled and restarted the device and reinstalled. I did a software update. Why won’t it work???

tmowhat
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. That didn't work for me, and I just did a factory reset and it's still not working. Any other suggestions?

RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hi @tmowhat 

We're sorry to hear about the issue you're experiencing.

The channel developer themselves maintains channels on Roku. We suggest reaching out to HBO Max's customer support team to report the issue and get help. There's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

You can contact them here: HBO Max | Help Center

Thank you for your understanding.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
MeloBr

Jump to solution

I'm facing the same problem. I've tried everything I could but yet not working.

RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello @tmowhat

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

We'd like to gather more information about the issue you're running into. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing:

1. Does the issue only occur on HBO channel or all channels on your Roku device?
2. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue? Have you removed the channel, restart the device then add the channel back? Note: Please make sure to restart your Roku device after removing the channel and before adding the channel back to ensure the process is successful.
3. What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?

We recommend starting here to troubleshoot any channel playback issues: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @MeloBr

Thanks for reaching out.

Could you tell us more about your concern? What are the troubleshooting steps you've tried? Are you also experiencing the issue on HBO Max? Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
DeviceUser
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is not really a solution; this is a redirection. I am having the same issue. On other devices, you can completely uninstall and clear cache so the app works again. In the case of Roku, I'm not sure that it ever actually uninstalls when you remove it from your channels. This may be an HBO issue, but it is also a Roku problem. I would expect Roku to be working with one of the largest providers of content that your device is purchased for.