Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Google Home, YouTube voice commands with Roku TV

My Roku used to respond to YouTube commands such as "hey Google pause YouTube on Roku" and it would follow commands. But now when I give that same command it gives me a "don't understand error message. This command will work with every other streaming app I have just not YouTube, why not? Every other command works such as launching apps, volume on/off, just nothing YouTube related...

TCL ROKU TV MODEL 43S425

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Re: Google Home, YouTube voice commands

Sounds like you should have it out with YouTube.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Google Home, YouTube voice commands with Roku TV

@JakeK1  Thanks for reaching out here. I'm not seeing the same issue when I try to use this command to pause YouTube. Are you still running into this? If so, I'd recommend removing the Roku skill for Google Assistant, restarting your Roku TV from Settings>System>Power>System restart, then going through the process of setting up the Roku skill once more. 

Let me know if you need any further help from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Thank you for your reply, I've tried as you suggested with no results, my assistant will launch the app and adjust volume while in the app but will not respond to pause or resume

Once again only in the YouTube app, it works with every other app

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

15809519503565259589220258049222.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Thanks for the clarification. I will share this feedback with our team and provide any further updates that we hear. For the time being, I'd recommend trying to use our voice command feature in the free Roku mobile app, on the 'Remote' tab, and see if this works to help control the channel. 

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions in the meantime. 

Thanks,

Tanner

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Google Home + Roku -> No Longer Turns TV on/off but can perform all other operations

[post relocated to appropriate thread]

My sound stopped working with google assistant.  I use to be able to yesterday say to google assistant "hey google, turn off (or on) sound on roku tv.

From the sequence of replies I get Roku isn't going to fix this.  I have resolved not to buy a tv that says roku again.  Sorry, your problem not mine.  I don't like buying things where they start diddling with the software and then don't fix what they break.

By the way, chromecast works on the roku tv with the chromecast device in HDMI1.  The roku app on my samsung phone works with the roku TV.  So, yes everything is connected and working.  Sadly, google assistant does not work with the roku tv.  Did all the basic diagnostics also.

Future solution - don't buy roku tvs.  I'll try something else.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Google Home + Roku -> No Longer Turns TV on/off but can perform all other operations

@Someone7 Thanks for reaching out. The issue you described is different than the topic thread that you posted on. Could you please provide more information about the Roku TV and issue you are seeing with the Google Assistant action: 

- What model of Roku TV are you using in Settings>System>About?

- Have you tried the following steps, in order: 

1. Remove the Roku action from the Google Home app.

2. Restart both your phone and the Roku TV (Settings>System>Power>System restart)

3. Confirm that both your TV and the phone are connected to the same wireless network. 

4. Then, add the Roku action back once more, and select your Roku TV from the available devices in your Roku account during setup. 

You can see the setup instructions for the Google Assistant action here: https://support.roku.com/article/360009649613-how-do-i-use-the-google-assistant-with-my-roku-streami...

If that isn't working to resolve the issue, please provide more specific details about:

- What is the exact command(s) that you are trying to use with the Google Assistant action?

- What screen you are on when you try to use this action? Roku Home screen, inside a streaming channel, etc.?

- Which channel are you trying to use the command in relation to? 

- If possible, please provide a screenshot of any error message that you see. 

We'll certainly help take a closer look, get this information over to our team, and continue assisting you from there. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Highlighted
Level 17

Oh boy. I really want to lay in bed and just have to speak commands. Its so very troubling and an energy waste to push buttons. Besides I want to impress myself and my friends with how little i do.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---

From now on if people dont upvote me and do as I say I will consider holding my breath and selling my Roku's.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

FYI I'm having the same issue and am looking for an update on this. I have a Streaming Stick+ and when I use Google Assistant on my Home Mini or Phone I get the same "Didn't Understand" error with a blank set of quotation marks underneath. I've unlinked my device, restarted phone and roku stick, re-linked the device and still get the same error.

It seems like the command isn't reaching the Roku based off of the blank quotation marks. So has there been any update on this? Or @JakeK1 , have you found a solution that works for you?

Thanks.

0 Kudos