Discussions

More than a smart TV—a better TV. Learn more about using your Roku TV, locate help resources, and share your experience.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JakeK1
Level 8

Re: Google Home, YouTube voice commands with Roku TV

I spoke to Roku directly and they're telling me it's an error on the TV side of the equation not the Roku operating system so they told me to contact TCL and see if their support can help... Haven't done so yet though, I'll update once I get a fix!

0 Kudos
JakeK1
Level 8

I spoke to TCL support today and they said YouTube does not support voice commands on the Roku TV. I tried explaining that it does because others can use it so why can't I, but they just repeated that its not supported...Yet it did when I first bought the TV which makes no sense! This can't be correct

chunk_split
Level 8

Just here to add my +1 to the list. I can confirm that I can reproduce the issue any one of the following ways (thanks to @JakeK1 for helping reveal this) after launching the YouTube app:

1. Use Google Assistant to say “Ok google, [pause/resume/play] [roku device name]”
  2. Use the microphone on the remote and say “pause” or “resume” (interestingly “play” results in nothing happening, no error and doesn’t start playing).

Both have exactly the same ‘Didn’t understand: “” ’ error message in the top right. This could be an issue on Google’s side, however there’s no way to know, because Google’s support forums are notorious for simply locking threads without responding at all (or preventing follow up and etc) which doesn’t look good on them. For example: https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/48334598?hl=en

Also posting here so I can at least get updates in case anyone finds a solution or in case Google/YouTube or Rokue actually fix this seemingly simple issue.

BA357A7B-E0EA-417A-8A93-D045E082C934.jpeg

michaelmior
Level 8

I'm also seeing the same issue. I'm pretty sure this used to work before.

0 Kudos
Seff
Level 8

Same problem here. Along with the sound issues at the beginning of videos.

0 Kudos
JakeK1
Level 8

Great news as of recently Roku has released a new OS and voice commands are now being accepted by YouTube.. it's still just play and pause no search ability but that's like every other streaming app out there... All other commands are working just like they were when I originally bought the TV.

Procedure:

1. Check that your OS has been updated to version 9.4

2. Verify all your apps have been updated to work properly with the new OS

0 Kudos
Seff
Level 8

Everything is updated and it still says it 'didn't understand: ""'

0 Kudos