Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdc0930

Found Roku 43 inch by dumpster, flickering screen, hardware issue

I found a roku flatscreen by my friends apartment complex's dumpster. Figured I'd take it home see if it works, if not i just put it at my dump. It works but the screen will flicker after a minute of being on. I've tried EVERY stupid 'easy fix' that ive found and nothing helped. Me and my partner took off the back and cleaned the ribbon cabling and cleared the dead cockroaches out of the back and it seemed to help a bit. I've figured its probably a hardware issue. Problem is, I have no idea how, where, or what the issue could be and where to find it. Any suggestions?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Found Roku 43 inch by dumpster, flickering screen, hardware issue

Maybe the backlight is dieing, that may be replaceable or fixable (capacitors are a likely candidate, look for misshapen or discoloured).

Also check main power supply, again capacitors are a common issue.

Or some other main board fault..poor soldering, cracked board, failed ribbon cable/poor seating of connectors.

Not any easy fix, needs some skills, tools, time.  Someone who fixes laptop screens may be able to help.

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Roku doesn't make the TVs, so you find more information about the hardware searching for the manufacturer - TCL, Sharp, onn, etc.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@jdc0930 

Many times it is that ribbon cable you cleaned.  When starts to flicker, see if pressing or wiggling it will help to get picture to stop flickering.  Sometimes just have to tape them down on either end.  That is best case scenario.  

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102