Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
splasher
Channel Surfer

File transfers between computers cause Roku to lose network connection

When I copy large files (16 & 32 GB microSD card images) from my Windows computer to my local WD NAS, my Roku Premiere (3920 series) # and TCL Roku TV will report that they are "Not connected to the Internet

If I cancel the file transfer, Roku reports that all is well (internet connection restored) and work normally.  The connection between the computer and network is hardwired with WIFI disabled on the computer to reduce WIFI traffic, but that doesn't seem to help.

My network is a cable company supplied Hitron Coda modem/router with a hardwired Linksys EA-6350 used as an access point in close proximity of the two Roku units.

Is this a known behavior and if so, are there any solutions other than only doing the file transfers when I don't want to watch TV?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
GuitarMan
Roku Guru

Re: File transfers between computers cause Roku to lose network connection

This sounds like a problem with your router, not your Roku device.  I have similar problems where sometimes the Roku app on my android phone won't find one, or sometimes any of the 4 Roku TVs I have on the network. 

Sometimes I won't be able to communicate from my laptop to my desktop even if both are connected to the same access point and using the same frequency (either 2.4 or 5G).

Sometimes the router's speed drops to under 80Mbps even though I have 200Mbps service and it has been tested by my cable company at the outlet.

The only thing that will fix these issues is restarting the router and access points.  It's a Netgear Nighthawk mesh system with one router and two satellites (access points).  This system is a piece of **bleep**.  It has a bunch of other problems too.  

0 Kudos